• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

using case spreaders

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I tried using a case spreader on the Dana 30. I had a dial indicator on the hosing and was watching it. I was using a 1-1/8" combination wrench on the turnbuckle but soon found I needed a suitable pipe. By the time I was at .006" I was putting enough downward force that I was concerned the spreader dowels would come out of the housing. Is there a better way to do this? I also wonder how you could reasonable do this if the axle is out of the vehicle. I am not sure how its possible without a suitable jig to hold the axle. A bottle jack turned sideways seems like a good idea here.

Never had to use a case spreader on a D30, instead have been able able to use a dead blow hammer to insert the differential, with the proper pre-load shims installed.
Both my D30(LP) and 8.25 both use crush sleeves and would be just about impossible to torque to specs, if not installed in the Jeep, not having a good way of clamping the axle down on a bench or even having a bench big and strong enough.
HP-D30s use shims to set the pinion preload and could be set-up, while removed.

Not being a ass here, But i did something real stupid the last time i pulled my front apart. Like i said not being a ass. Did you pull your axles out. I am getting older and was in a hurry to get it done, i was pissed when i noticed i didn't pull my axle shafts out.

Like i said not trying to be a ass or anything.But some times shit happens i guess.

Yes axles were out.

I was really just looking for an alternative method than beating it in with a dead blow which is how I've been doing it.

Every diff I've done I've had to drive the diff home, pry it out, add or remove shims and drive it back in.. Though i haven't done a d30 yet

you sure you set up the dial indicator correctly to measure case spread? Just asking because it isn't that difficult to over-spread the d30, and, I've never found it difficult to spread the case.

No, I'm not sure, but I believe I measured correctly.

I am using the dealer spreader and set it up as pictured in the FSM:

Imagine that the case spreader U-shaped, with the top of the spreader in line with the case holes for the dowel pins. The turnbuckle was in the middle of the spreader and the solid piece at the bottom. I put the magnetic base just above the top of the dowels, inboard on the flat surface where the differential cover goes. I spanned the case and put the dial indicator pointer just inside the cover part. I watched it slowly increase from .001-.006. I was hoping to go .012 which was the bearing preload on the bearings at last install.

At .006 I could not easy remove the carrier, so I don't think it was overspread.

I am tempted to cut the box end off my 1-1/8" wrench so if I put a pipe on the end, there isn't much slop. Do you think a normal 1-1/8" wrench should be able to do this easily?

I don't have a lift. I was supporting the frame and letting the axle droop so I could get both the spreader in, and the magnetic base/dial indicator in to take the reading. Without the axle drooping, I wouldn't have been able to fit the dial indicator. This left the spreader about 1" off the ground.

Last edited:
Back