• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Middle exhaust hanger broken

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
The middle exhaust hanger at the transmission mount ripped out of the exhaust pipe. This happened when the rear exhaust hanger failed in the middle of a long trip. Now it's rattling on the crossmember.

Any idea what I can do to fix this without replacing the whole pipe? The crossmember is difficult to remove because the front suspension is attached to it.

normal_image~222.jpg

What I would try to do is remove the hanger and clean it up so it is ready to be welded back on (remove any of the old pipe and grind it back to where it is a clean rod again) and then get a piece of exhaust tubing of the same diameter as the original and cut out a patch piece that will cover what I expect is a gaping hole. Weld the patch piece in place on the old pipe and then weld the hanger to that.

If you find that you cannot weld to the old pipe without burning through it then you are in the market for a new headpipe.

I can't get an idea of what I'm looking at from your pic but I have successfully used an exhaust clamp u-bolt to reattach the pipe to the hanger bracket on the mount just in front of the rear axle when I didnt have a welder.

Back