• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another neutral safety switch thread..

XabuJr

NAXJA Forum User
Only because I'm only 85% sure that's what my problem is and all my searching hasn't shown this particular 'symptom'. haha

So I got a new battery on this XJ I'm building. Put it in, starts up, runs, everything looks to be perfect.. move it out of my driveway to free up some space while I shuffle where vehicles are parked. It sits maybe 10 minutes?

Go to start it up and move it into my garage. And nothing... I hear the fuel pump prime, but when I turn the key over, it doesn't even click. So we pop the hood and decide since it's dark we'll just push it into the garage so we can troubleshoot it in the light.

I jumped in to put it in neutral in order to push easier, and seeing how this is my first automatic Jeep ever, decided to try and start it real quick.. and it fired right up. In neutral. Which I thought was cool, whereas my buddy who was there and who has had an automatic XJ before, mentioned that it shouldn't have started at all in neutral.

So it sounds like when it was in park, the Jeep thought it was in neutral & then vice-versa. Has anyone else seen that problem?

hasta

Nevermind.. Turns out I just found a thread that says you should be able to start it in P or N. Thus, what I saw last night points me to having to clean up my NSS. I will do that. Sorry for the thread....

Yep, P or N. You can try jiggling the shifter around or simply go from P to N back to P.

I would try to find a used one to clean and replace yours. NSS's are notorious for breaking while removing.

Plenty of threads on how to rebuild. Also plenty on how to bypass if needed.

Back