• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension work

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
Looking for the Northwest input on pros and cons or which way I should go.

I started collecting parts, knowing I wanted to go higher, but not necessarily how much. Plus plans changed. Some parts will be sold when I figure this out.

Mine has the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift kit. I am concerned the rear is sagging. It was the RE full leaf pack

My limitation is the shocks: Bilstiens for the 5-6" lift.

Uninstalled parts I have collected:
Front:
RE 4.5" springs
RE 1.75" spacer

Rear:
RE shackles
Don't remember the part number or how much they were supposed to lift, but they measure about 6 3/4" from end to end
Also have the rear shackle mounts

With budget versus functionality, what would you keep or trash?

Thank you

I would run the shackles, set your shackle angle, then get the front to match heightwise. Bumpstop and trim to make sure the tires fit then run it

Excluding a Long Arm Conversions or the possible driveshaft....

Anything else i should add to my list?

Last edited:
I really liked my old setup with 33's. 4.5" BDS front coils, 4" BDS leaf pack, and a JKS shackle with custom frame mount.

If you're sticking with short arms, and no drop brackets, I wouldn't go much higher than 4.5". Arm angles and ride quality would be sacrificed. I'd toss the 4.5" coils, shackle, and relocation brackets on and see where you're at.

Some Bilsteins would complete that setup nicely.

I would sell the 4.5" leaves and put an aal in the 3.5" pack to get it back to stock-ish. Buy some shackle relocation boxes and get a perfect 45* shackle angle. That's very similar to the setup I had on my old XJ and the rear was super flexy on that.

best pic I could find

SDC10807Small.jpg

Last edited:
TORX, will probably start there. To experiment, I will have to wait until end of August. I was debating taking it down the local suspension guy just to get it done and parts out of the way.

Back