• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door popping noises, do you have this screw?

XabuJr

NAXJA Forum User
So as I start to prep this XJ for the round of mods, I figured I'd look into the door popping noise. I thought it was just the hinges making noises, as they need to be redone, but after watching the open/close carefully, it's this screw.

I'm not sure the below screw is what is supposed to be there. Can anyone else show me what they have in that spot or if your door pops extremely loud when opening/closing it?

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

There is supposed to be a pin there, lot like a roll pin with a taper and a groove. Good news is every MJ/XJ/ZJ door front/rear has one in that spot so wrecking yard donor is plentiful. They are the same pin for every door (front and rear use the same pin) and the pins on my 88 are the same as the ones on my 2000 so they should be easy to find.

Bad news, it probably won't fix the popping, but some good greasing will lessen it once the proper pin is replaced.

There is supposed to be a pin there, lot like a roll pin with a taper and a groove. Good news is every MJ/XJ/ZJ door front/rear has one in that spot so wrecking yard donor is plentiful. They are the same pin for every door (front and rear use the same pin) and the pins on my 88 are the same as the ones on my 2000 so they should be easy to find.

Bad news, it probably won't fix the popping, but some good greasing will lessen it once the proper pin is replaced.

Good to know.. The popping (in this particular case) is the screw moving around in the hole.. So I'm thinking it may just pop quieter or something when I get a new pin..

YOu local parts store should have a pin kit in the "Help section" Or, if you go to a better than Vatozone store then you might be able to find individual correct pins.

YOu local parts store should have a pin kit in the "Help section" Or, if you go to a better than Vatozone store then you might be able to find individual correct pins.

I'll have to see a pic of the pins to know which to replace it with.. Or maybe I'll check the back doors before I go to work and see.. I don't remember the back doors making any noise..

I have a screw in my MJ's door stop and it pops every time I open and close the door. Twice open and twice when closing. This has worn out the strap and the holder. A standard roll pin will not stay in there now. As was suggested go the junkyard and pull the whole part off of a REAR door. It is only 4 bolts. The reason I say rear door is because thay don't get as much use as the fronts and tend to be in a lot better shape.

Back