• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Laws

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
So, I use to get pulled over in California all the time for not having flares before I moved to Oregon. I really want to yank off these Bushwackers on my XJ, but I'm wondering how the cops react if you stick out by 6" on all sides.

As long as you have a flap you don't need a flair

But you may be pulled over for the flair of the officer dose not know the law.

In this instance it would be better for you to smile and take the ticket, if you argue or try and infom him that he is wrong.
He will just give you a ticket for something else. Just something I have learned in dealing with the police and dealing with thousands of dollars in tickets.

Do like I have.
Take the ticket
See him in court
Look and smile at him when the judge throws his ticket out.

6) Does my vehicle need mud flaps/mud guards?

Answer: Non commercial vehicles (under 8,000 lbs.) need fenders or mud guards (mud flaps) within 27 inches of the pavement behind the tire. Commercial vehicles need fenders or mudguards (mud flaps) within 10 inches behind all wheels. (ORS 815.180)

Fenders and mud guards (mud flaps) must cover the entire tread width of the tire(s). (ORS 815.180)

Do you see the OR?

If you have flaps you don't need flares

I have had 3 tickets under the ORS 815-180 for not having a flare
Get to court and the judge throws it out do to the "or"

As long as your flap is less then 27inch from the ground and covering all of the thread from the rear you are in the clear.

Note!! Do not argue with the officer on the side of the road he will just give you a ticket for something else (Iv done this)

Take your ticket and take picks of your jeep have them printed out for the judge to keep and make the officer look like a fool

Every time I have done this the office has stormed out of the court room and I get in my jeep and drive right by him at the court house

Last edited:
Back