• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX Instrument ground on fuse box missing...

Kermitthefrog

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, now ive been searching for months, havent found any information yet. I have also read and re-read Cruiser's Renix Tips countless times. That said...

I have a 1990 XJ Laredo, thing is an electrical nightmare. Original wiring has been molested many times, now Im trying to fix the grounding issues. The one i cant find is the ground wire for the drivers side fuse panel, to fix my instrument panel. Best part is, I know its grounding somewhere, because the fuses keep blowing. No dash lights, but the radio works. got the tail lights working, no running lights up front. Im at a loss, Can someone post a picture of where the ground wire originates from, or lead me in the right direction please? Cruiser's info is fantastic, but doesnt include where the ground wire comes out of the fuse box.
Much appreciated
-Kermit

Last edited:
From your description it sounds like you have a shorted dimmer in your headlight switch, maybe.

I'm not going to BS you, I'm a little sketchy on the dash gauges ground. Believe it is the ground that usually screws into the left of the dash knee panel *metal*brace. This ground gets dropped and forgotten sometimes when the knee panel is removed. Like I said, it has been awhile and this is mostly guess work, but if you follow the headlight delay module wiring down to the main harness, the ground wire exits at the same spot on the harness.

The ground about halfway down the inner fender well on the drivers side is also for some of the lighting. These two grounds (dash and lighting) seem to be spliced together and both ground some common circuits.

ahhhh interesting. because I had to change my headlight switch. it melted, and cracked the ceramic. maybe the old ground got torn out in the process...but the dash never worked for me. Ill check that out!! thanks man

there isn't one that comes from the fuseblock.

There should be one above the drivers left knee on the kick panel.
After you find it, bond it to where the stud for the pedal parking brake mount it. The under dash one relies on the riveted dash pieces, and after 25 years generally sucks. I slip a 10ga wire under it's ring terminal and rnu it to the proper chassis.

For your front markers, check the sockets. They were open in the front, grounds suck.

OH MAN thats awesome news. thank you!! there is a yellow box under there, presumably for cruise control, a velcro'd black box, and thats it for now. So im assuming that the fuse panel grounds to the riveted metal section?

OH MAN thats awesome news. thank you!! there is a yellow box under there, presumably for cruise control, a velcro'd black box, and thats it for now. So im assuming that the fuse panel grounds to the riveted metal section?

IP%20ground%20location_zpsurgs8odn.jpg

Thanks cruiser!! I was hoping youd pop in. Problem with mine is that wire pictured is not present on my jeep. Ive no idea where it went off to, or even how it starts. Pure mystery. Is there something else i could go looking for ?

Black box is cruise control. Dunno about the yellow.

IP%20harness_zpscupg19h7.jpg
Goes through a connector C118. 10 pin connector behind driver's side kick panel.

But, if you look up under the dash where the wiper switch and headlight delay module harnesses exit the loom, the ground wire exits there also.

Last edited:
You can actually see it in cruisers pic, my wiring has been torn apart by so many folks over the years its hard to make heads or tails from it. Soon as my broken ribs heal ill be tearing into it again.

Thanks for that!!! Ill check that out. Driving me nuts. Hopefully ill get all the lights working soon!! Ill try and post pics soon if itll let me, give you guys a taste

Will do!! Theres no wire in mine where they are in your pics, its all sorts of rigged down there. But i bet ill find it now! Good 'ol renix :)

Back