• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 Cherocar running issue

94xjsport94

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on my 1994 4.0 auto XJ. On a cold start it will start slow and run fine until everything gets nice and warm at operating temperature. Runs steady at 210 in park and neutral, haven't ever had it get hot on me in the last 2 years. Now as soon as everything is nice and warm it will start to stutter and run like ass until it stalls out and quits. It only does this in drive. Once everything is warm if it will restart- slow starting, not like a heat soak issue, it will idle fine in park/ neutral but as soon as it is shifted in to drive it dies. This issue started at Gulches in October but has gotten much worse. It started shutting off when it got warm but I could just turn it off, let the e fan run for 10-15 min, and it would fire right up and go. Now I had to get towed back from the bottom of Boatramp and TNT... I rebuilt the engine last summer and drove it to work for 2 months before I did my 1 ton swap. I have replaced the fuel pump, filter, pick up screen, ignition coil, and checked for CEL codes. No codes at all and the light does work. It's very similar to an issue I had about 4 years ago when I had a broken wire in the 5V return to the ECU from the TPS, except that gave a CEL. I will replacing the CPS and battery tomorrow with some good spares I have. I feel like it is a sensor that is getting hot and breaking down. Aside from that, I am at a total loss with this thing. Please help!

Have you check your lock up solenoid for the toque converter? If it stays locked up it will not run right. Its like starting the jeep in 4 gear!

Back