• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Rotors.....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Is there a difference in different types, brands or make up of rotors that an everyday normal driver will notice? I am looking for something that will work good cold. I understand that the pads do make a difference when it come to stopping the vehicle when cold but how much difference will a change of rotors alone make?

Rotors and brakes in general, come in three types, cheap junk, midpriced stuff, and top quality stuff. Specialty and boutique brakes are a different story.

Cheap brakes suck and don't last long. Midpriced brakes work ok and last pretty good. Top quality brakes work really well and should last a long time. Centric rotors have a very good reputation, and I always buy the top grade NAPA brakes. Good quality brake rotors have more cooling fins, and actually weigh more that the cheaper stuff, making them more resistant to fade and to warping.

IMO drilled and slotted rotors are a waste of money for a stock or nearly stock 4x4.

Centric rotors, calipers, with Black Magic pads. Nothing will stop better, hot or cold.

David Bricker / SYR

I buy Centric's standard type rotors & para-aramid (kevlar) pads from EBC (Ultimax line) or Centric (fleet service) .
Rotors wise - don't cheap out but I wouldn't buy bling, either. Heavier & better vented = better but drilled, slotted, dimpled etc is getting silly on anything but a track beast.

Excellent comments. Great education.

I will do some online search at the local parts stores for some good quality pieces for the XJ.

do a search on Black Magic pads and Centric Rotors... I doubt you'll find a better "OE" set-up on the market... unless you want to pay big $$. :)

Centric rotors, calipers, with Black Magic pads. Nothing will stop better, hot or cold.

Another vote for the Black Magic-Centric rotor combination. Wonderful at any temp.

Also had good experiences with the $135 PowerSlot rotor and pad kits from Rock Auto, nice if money is tight.

I had ever been able to lock up my front wheels with 31's
had slotted rotors with assorted pads (no $$$ pads though) raybestos higher grades and the likes (nothing over 45$)

Recently replaced with AcDelco rotors (cheap) and Power Stop Z36477 they are Truck and Tow pads. The pads were 32$/set. the Rotors were $40 for 2.

I had a large increase in stopping power- can lock fronts. I am very happy. THere is alot of initial bite. Coming to a final stop there is some pad noise, that I have never had before.

Maybe it was just my day to have brakes finally...with an xj

I have owned a 91' did the master/Booster update/upgrade- put on Zj rear disks- could never stop it with 31's
got the 98' stock would lock up- put on my 91' suspension and axles- tires- no more lock up. till now.

I used to lockup the original 225 X 70X 15 tires that was on the XJ when I bought it. This have not been possible since I put on 31's. I am now in the process of renewing the entire brake system from the booster all the way to the wheels. I do remember though that the brakes were really poor when cold,...not too bad when hot (but could be better) and downright scary when wet. The pedal feel was good but the XJ just did not stop. It took several miles of driving before the stopping ability was acceptable. I do not drive the XJ much now. After being parked for a few months a whitish scale would cover the rotor reducing the stopping ability. It is a scale not rust. The rear grand Cherokee donated disc would rust and clear quickly. Not so for the front.

Another vote for the Black Magic-Centric rotor combination. Wonderful at any temp.

Also had good experiences with the $135 PowerSlot rotor and pad kits from Rock Auto, nice if money is tight.

I believe PowerSlot rotors are manufactured/owned by Centric, and are their "premium drilled" line.

David Bricker / SYR

I just installed a set of PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors
along with Raybestos pads and rebuilt calipers.

Put 5 miles on them this morning, seems to be working
fine although pedal is lower than expected. Probably
some air left in the system.

I chose the drilled rotors, thinking they would run cooler
and reduce the chances of a seized caliper (which was
the original problem)...

I just installed a set of PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors
along with Raybestos pads and rebuilt calipers.

Put 5 miles on them this morning, seems to be working
fine although pedal is lower than expected. Probably
some air left in the system.

I chose the drilled rotors, thinking they would run cooler
and reduce the chances of a seized caliper (which was
the original problem)...

sounds good! bleed it one more time- will work even better!

seize or hung up caliper can be caused by taking using the brakes past their limit (piston extends too far out). Also can get to a new "wear line" or new "crud line" in the cylinder and the piston does not return upon releasing pedal. I am not a racer or a rocker- so my heat is has only been do to under-equipped brakes on our xj's.

I had slotted powerstops I never noticed a benifit- that's why I went back to normal (on the cheap) rotors. Very happy with my $70 new pads and rotors. This is on a 98' with zj rear disks (with air in that circuit) and bad pads in rear from a bad seal that was just repaired, didn't change pads yet (money and wanted to make sure the seal was good before wasting new pads).

I re-bled the calipers today, and that brought the
pedal back up. The PowerStop drilled rotors work fine,
although I couldn't feel any drastic improvement over
the stock blank rotors. The runout is near 0, so they
brake smoothly and are zinc plated which should
retard rusting.

The drilled type is probably overkill unless the vehicle
is often driven in mountainous areas.

There's definitely quality differences. Better quality rotors, usually use better materials (metal), generally will cost more and last longer.

Bendix produces unpainted rotors for the XJ, with a cost quality that appears to be ok. I don't know how these compare to more expensive rotors. Less expensive rotors such as an econo-line usually wear out faster. (Some rotors are more or less expensive because of the number that are mass produced and sold.)

If your around salt much of the time, such as ocean beaches, etc. Paint your rotors. Painted rotors won't rust as fast. Some of the lesser quality rotors such as an econo-line type (normally come unpainted), will often start to rust out before wearing out when around salt most of their life.

Higher quality rotors may be unpainted but generally use better quality metal and rust inhibitors. Normally should wear out before rusting out.

Back