• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mj dana 44 into '91 xj

toddb450

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all- A quick question on on a Dana 44. I have a '91 xj with the dana 35c. Is it possible to swap this out for a dana 44 out of a '89 commanche? I know the commanche is a spring under. I'm hoping all dimensions and bolt patterns are the same and all I will have to do is relocate the spring perches to the top of the axle. Has anyone done this?
Thanks in advance for your help!

The Comanche axle does not have shock mounts. I checked my parts catalog, the XJ and MJ use the same axle shafts. I would expect the axles to be the same width.

I never thought about measuring the MJ axles I salvaged from the yards. They get a better price because they came from a Comanche.

Last edited:
Good looking out Hypoid. The shock mounts should be an easy weld on, but i will be measuring width before I bring it home. Thanks for the info!!

My 1988 XJ has a Comanche D44. It was installed years ago by forum member Rawbrown. Perches were welded in place. If you have or are planning a lift you can set the perches accordingly.

As far as I know everything is XJ compatible, I've even since rebuilt the brakes using XJ D44 part numbers from NAPA.

Back