• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SOS! AC needed in Las Vegas!

kc_eiland

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ with 4.0

About 3 years ago, the clutch on my AC compressor seized and caught fire. So I replaced my AC Compressor, AC Accumulator, Orifice tube, and low pressure line. The system was flushed and serviced from a shop. The AC was ice cold every since, until last summer.

Last summer, AC would only blow warm air. Took it to another shop and they found a leaky O-ring. They replaced it, and recharged my AC. Cold as ice again.

This summer, its starting to get hot as H3LL! Now the AC gets ice cold only at idle. But when I'm driving, and/or engine RPMs are higher than 1,500, the AC gets warm. Back at idle, AC is ice cold again.

So I went to Autozone and got a can of AC with the pressure gauge. Pressure is at about 45, cold line is cold, and hot line is hot. AC Compressor cycles every 20 seconds or so. AC Condenser looks OK, no bent fins or clogs.

As of now, I don't know what else to do. Is my AC compressor bad? Or is there a possible vacuum leak? I'd like to narrow it down prior to sending it back to the shop and being charged a ridiculous diagnostic fee.

Thanks in advance.

It does continue to blow when you take off, right? If there's not a check valve, it may try to default to floor or defrost when the vacuum drops. If it keeps blowing, but goes to different vents, look for a check valve on the HVAC vacuum connection under the hood.

Otherwise, you'll need to look at your differential on a set of gauges, as previously mentioned.

I don 't know how to put multiple quotes in a single post so I'm going to answer like this:

Jimthej: What/where is the blend door. I'm assuming behind the dash somewhere. But what do you mean "set to hot"? As if it thinks I'm asking for heat instead of AC? Is this vacuum controlled?

sidewaysstarion: I don't have another gauge but I'll pick one up. I'll just have to find a fitting for the high side. As for the low side, the pressure was about 45 at idle (the engine was still hot, about 210, and outside temp was about 110). I didn't rev the RPMs but I will today when I get home.

Overland: It does continue to blow, and out of the same vents. The rise in "air conditioned" temp is the only problem while driving. The temp returns to ice cold again at idle.

I appreciate all the suggestions. If anyone can tell me what low side pressure I should get at idle vs. higher RPMs (I'm getting like 45 at idle now, is that too high?). Also, when I get a second gauge to monitor the high side, what should I be reading?

I've read somewhere that an overpressured system is just as counterproductive as underpressured system. That being said, where should I be pressure wise on high and low lines?

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking the presence of non condensable gasses, like air, could cause the problem. Connecting a can or a gauge incorrectly can introduce a little each time, which becomes a problem over time.

Moisture present will freeze at the expansion valve, spiking pressure and cutting out the clutch.

I'm thinking the presence of non condensable gasses, like air, could cause the problem. Connecting a can or a gauge incorrectly can introduce a little each time, which becomes a problem over time.

Moisture present will freeze at the expansion valve, spiking pressure and cutting out the clutch.

Would that cause the air to warm up while driving/higher RPMs and remain cold at lower RPMs? I'm on board with taking it back to the shop and having them service/pressurize it properly if that's the issue. I'm just trying to avoid paying diagnostic charges on top of any servicing, parts, etc...

The problem only happens when its really hot outside. When the outside temp is below 80, the AC stays pretty cool, driving or idle. Anything above 80 degrees outside and the AC warms up. I'm not overheating (engine wise), as my driving temp stays UNDER 200, but slowly creeps up to around 210 (ish) when at a stop light (AC on) and maintains 200 (ish) at a stop light with AC off.

I don 't know how to put multiple quotes in a single post so I'm going to answer like this:

Jimthej: What/where is the blend door. I'm assuming behind the dash somewhere. But what do you mean "set to hot"? As if it thinks I'm asking for heat instead of AC? Is this vacuum controlled?

sidewaysstarion: I don't have another gauge but I'll pick one up. I'll just have to find a fitting for the high side. As for the low side, the pressure was about 45 at idle (the engine was still hot, about 210, and outside temp was about 110). I didn't rev the RPMs but I will today when I get home.

Overland: It does continue to blow, and out of the same vents. The rise in "air conditioned" temp is the only problem while driving. The temp returns to ice cold again at idle.

I appreciate all the suggestions. If anyone can tell me what low side pressure I should get at idle vs. higher RPMs (I'm getting like 45 at idle now, is that too high?). Also, when I get a second gauge to monitor the high side, what should I be reading?

I've read somewhere that an overpressured system is just as counterproductive as underpressured system. That being said, where should I be pressure wise on high and low lines?

Thanks guys.
45 is ~ normal for the low side considering how hot it is in vegas right now. When the compressor is running it should drop down which causes the compressor to kick off. Is the 45 psi rating when the compressor is running or when it's off.

If you have the cash I'd pickup the harbor freight gauge set it's ~$55 and there are 4 harbor frieghts in the vegas area. Plus if you have the gauge set you can start buying R134a in bulk (sams club has 30lbs for $100) and charging your friends to fix their A/C systems. :)

45 is ~ normal for the low side considering how hot it is in vegas right now. When the compressor is running it should drop down which causes the compressor to kick off. Is the 45 psi rating when the compressor is running or when it's off.

If you have the cash I'd pickup the harbor freight gauge set it's ~$55 and there are 4 harbor frieghts in the vegas area. Plus if you have the gauge set you can start buying R134a in bulk (sams club has 30lbs for $100) and charging your friends to fix their A/C systems. :)

The compressor was running with the AC at max when I got 45 psi. It was hot outside, around 108 and engine temp was about 210. I'm really starting to think my compressor is going bad, or at least the clutch. The clutch is starting to squeal like crazy before I get to normal operating engine temp. I don't think its my belt as I've tightened it and it still squeals from the compressor.

I'm going to Autozone tomorrow to see if they have a loaner gauge to check the high side. I'll post my findings but I really think the compressor is crapping out.

I stopped by autozone and they do have gauge sets on loan a
36048A57-6B01-4C22-8CF0-16BF24F432B6.jpg

Back