• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c bypass pulley for a 95

dukie564

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So i've been searching for a while now on a definitive answer, but come up empty...

I want to replace my a/c compressor with a bypass pulley. Looking at the Dorman units. There are two different options, neither of which say they work on a 95 model.

Factory parts manual says 53006551 for a 95-96 XJ OEM pulley/bracket.
Dorman 34171 has 3 bolts and says 91-93 XJ
Dorman 34237 has 4 bolts and says 96-01 XJ

I can't for the life of me figure out if there is a difference in the mounting. Can anyone confirm which one works on 95? If not does anyone have a model year 91-93 and 96-01 they can grab some compressor bolt spacings from to see if they match?

Thanks in advance :gonnablow

thanks dude. I guess i'll try out the 4 bolt one

Could either one be used? I have a 94 sport. Could the 4 hole be used instead of the three hole? It seems like the same pattern just one is cut at an angle minus the extra hole.

The 4-bolt one, if the same as the one I was running is far better than the 3-bolt one.

Oh cool so the 3 bolt one is just sliced accross . It looked the same. I imagined the 4 bolt would be stronger having more contact points.

Thanks man good deal.

Installed the 4 bolt one this past weekend. Fit perfect with zero modifications

I think the newer ones come with plastic pulleys. But, an older metal pulley can be installed on them.

yea pulley is high-density plastic with a metal bearing. Should hold up just fine - never seen a pulley itself break apart, just the bearings go bad.

Back