• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Barely running after recall work.

Reddleman

NAXJA Forum User
So I had an unintended airbag deployment, so I took it in for the module recall work (Recall ID # 8066) and they also did the fuel system level recall at the same time ( Recall ID # 12355).

First- It took them 2 months (!) to do the recall, and over 20 calls to them and Chrysler because the bolts rusted to the unibody and they insisted they couldn't figure our how to get to the airbag module under the seat. Turns out they just snapped off one bolt so they could get access to the unit, moved the connection to the transmission hump, and left it. My seat is now being held on by only 3 bolts now.

Second- I'm getting low power, hard starting, and P0171 (too lean) codes. I'm pretty sure it's probably starving for fuel because they botched the gas tank reinstall. Anything else it could be?

So I really don't feel like bringing it back- little confidence they know what the hell they're doing, and don't want to have them keep it for another month.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Dealerships suck at diagnostics, find a better shop to work on your Jeep.

It is simple enough to test the fuel pressure yourself and determine if that may be the cause of the P0171. Otherwise use a logical and systematic diagnostic and testing process to fix the problem. FYI, most XJ 4.0 have a cracked exhaust manifold.

P0171 Jeep - Fuel System 1/1 Lean

Possible causes

- Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
- Ignition misfiring
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Intake air leaks

Generally I wouldn't be surprised if the exhaust manifold was cracked. The only thing is that it showed none of these symptoms before heading into the dealer.

I have done all my own work for the past 7 years on this, but had no fuel/exhaust issues like this- ran pretty well.

So- next logical step would be to check fuel pressure? I'm thinking it's the most likely since they did drop the tank and I had no symptoms before this.

I was thinking of borrowing the Autozone kit, since it's free http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/fuel-pump-diagnostic-kit

The following assumes you live in or near Ithaca, as your user info states.

If this truly started after having it at the dealer, and you don't feel comfortable going back there, you may consider giving the Dodge/Ram/Jeep dealership in Owego a call. Brett Nichols is the service manager. Explain the situation to him. Whether they will do it all for free or not, I have no clue. But, if they can write their time against the recall, perhaps you have a chance.

We have had our Dodge Ram serviced there since 2004, when we bought it from them. Brett has always been reasonable to work with. (607) 687-3412.

David Bricker / SYR

Yep. I'm still in the area- I may take you up on that.

I did check the fuel pump pressure using the loaner from autozone. Here's what I found:

1. When I turn the key to on, no pressure builds until I try to start it- Is that normal?

2. When I try to crank it, the pressure builds, but very slowly- it takes a good 10 seconds to get to ~10psi- when the engine finally catches. Definitely never did that before.

3. It holds steady at ~50 for about a minute, then the needle gets shaky and it runs a little rougher.

4. When I turn it off, if i wait even 30 seconds, there seems to be no pressure in the system and shows all the same symptoms. I would think that would mean there's no check valve working and all the fuel drains back into the tank?

Thought about driving to see what happens under load, but couldn't figure out how to rig it so I could see the gauge while driving.

So while there might be more to it, there's definitely a fuel delivery issue. What next?

Yep. I'm still in the area- I may take you up on that.

I did check the fuel pump pressure using the loaner from autozone. Here's what I found:

1. When I turn the key to on, no pressure builds until I try to start it- Is that normal?

2. When I try to crank it, the pressure builds, but very slowly- it takes a good 10 seconds to get to ~10psi- when the engine finally catches. Definitely never did that before.

3. It holds steady at ~50 for about a minute, then the needle gets shaky and it runs a little rougher.

4. When I turn it off, if i wait even 30 seconds, there seems to be no pressure in the system and shows all the same symptoms. I would think that would mean there's no check valve working and all the fuel drains back into the tank?

Thought about driving to see what happens under load, but couldn't figure out how to rig it so I could see the gauge while driving.

So while there might be more to it, there's definitely a fuel delivery issue. What next?

I live in Newark Valley, so may be only about 30 minutes from you.

Not sure what year yours is, but on my '95, if I recall correctly, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds when you turn the key to "on", then will shut off if not started. In fact, I use this to "prime" the system after the Jeep has sat for several months - turn it on and off several times. Helps it start right up. If yours is a later model, this behavior may not apply.

I've not had to troubleshoot this issue, but 10 psi when cranking seems quite low. I would have expected more like 50 psi almost immediately.

David Bricker / SYR

So I had an unintended airbag deployment, so I took it in for the module recall work (Recall ID # 8066) and they also did the fuel system level recall at the same time ( Recall ID # 12355).

First- It took them 2 months (!) to do the recall, and over 20 calls to them and Chrysler because the bolts rusted to the unibody and they insisted they couldn't figure our how to get to the airbag module under the seat. Turns out they just snapped off one bolt so they could get access to the unit, moved the connection to the transmission hump, and left it. My seat is now being held on by only 3 bolts now.

Second- I'm getting low power, hard starting, and P0171 (too lean) codes. I'm pretty sure it's probably starving for fuel because they botched the gas tank reinstall. Anything else it could be?

So I really don't feel like bringing it back- little confidence they know what the hell they're doing, and don't want to have them keep it for another month.

Any suggestions?
It looks like you have a warranty issue. Does your paperwork list a part number for the assembly the dealership installed?

Could this be something as simple as a kinked fuel line near the gas tank? Perhaps on reassembly. If the line was crimped significantly, the fuel pump might not have enough power to deliver the appropriate pressure.

David Bricker / SYR

Back