• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the antilock brake system

crazymaci

NAXJA Forum User
Im thinking of removing the antilock brake jungle thats next to the booster,so i have room to mount my arb compressor. Has anyone done it? I have long ago ditched the sensors at the wheels. It couldnt be as essy as just undoing all the lines, unplugging any electrical could it.

I did it. I went to salvage yard and found a non abs model. I pulled the lines front the prop valve to the front brakes and from prop valve to rear brakes. Then jus take out the abs pump and lines from the prop valve to the abs pump and swap in the lines from the non abs and then remove sensors or leave them it doesn't matter as far as the sensors go. You will have to pull the abs relay to kill he abs warning light on cluster.

I did all of it in 3 hrs including bleeding brakes

No . If yours is the same as mine the rear brake line will have a union down below and to the right of the prop valve. So your disconnecting there and at the prop valve then putting the one from the non abs jeep in. If I recall it may only be a ft or so long. I'll see if I can take a picture of it real quick.

That line runs to the rear brakes.

The front is a little harder you have to pull wiring harness away from firewall and snake it out and snake the non abs one in.c

considered mounting the compressor under the passenger seat or behind the paneling in the stock spare tire location?

Is anybody using the defunct ABS circuit to power something else? I've been thinking about using it for lights or something. Any reason that isn't a good idea?

Thanks guys,that will get me what i need. I did consider mounting my pump in the back,but i use the space under my seat for MREs and water, and a few other things. But i ididnt want to extend the harness that far in the end.

Ya 97+, after looking at the pain in the ass hose that runs from the master cylinder around to the passenger side caliper im gonna swap what i can, then cut and flare that existing line,and soft line from there to the master, if that fails ill do plan B.

Back