• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The easy way to lube door locks

pjanda1

NAXJA Forum User
Power locks sticking? Too lazy to pull the door apart? It doesn't do much of anything to squirt lube into the exposed mechanism. All of the old threads I found suggest that the only solution is to tear it out. If you have five minutes, try this:

1) Pull the three torx screws that hold the latch mechanism to the door.
2) Rotate the mechanism a bit in the hole to expose a vertical slot that is to the outside of what is normally exposed.
3) Use a straw to squirt lube all around in that slot.
4) Put it back together.

Unlike what you can reach without removing anything, that slot leads to the lock mechanism guts that are gummed up. Lubing it this way is not as good as pulling the mechanism out and degreasing it. I did that to the rear doors, and it took me about an hour per door. While doing that, I noticed this slot. So, on the front doors, I just used the above method. I suspect it won't last nearly as long because the dry old lube is still in there. But it seems to work great in the short term on my '96. For all I know, the mechanism is different on different years.

On another note, if your exterior buttons aren't opening the door, you can adjust the engagement point via the allen screw in the slot below the mechanism. I didn't know this either until taking them apart, and it restored the function of one of my rear doors.

Hope this is useful to someone,

Paul

(Keywords: latch, actuator, solenoid).

See how it is in a curved slot? It is a bit tricky to shift the screw in it. I used a screwdriver in the slot to get it to move. But, if you are already at the far end of the adjustment range, you are out of luck.

Paul

Back