• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding after startup

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, my 87 4.0 with a manual tranny has developed a grinding issue. On occasion after startup i hear a grinding sound coming from the transmission tunnel. It doesnt matter if its in neutral or in gear with the clutch in, so i thought maybe there was something wacked out with the starter causing it to reengage a little and replaced it. It looked like there may have been some slight wear to the old starter teeth, but nothing that would really jump out. Went all day yesterday with no grinding noise. Then at lunch today i started it up and a second or so after startup i heard the grinding again. It lasts for maybe 3-4 seconds and then stops. It doesnt sound like the typical starter grind, but rather a little slower and deeper and as i said, its very intermittent. Anyone have any ideas? Could an ignition switch maybe cause this? Thanks

Every time I go to put mine in reverse (also manual) it grinds like crazy. But I think my clutch needs adjusted. It drives me nuts

It doesnt matter if its in neutral or in gear with the clutch in, so i thought maybe there was something wacked out with the starter causing it to reengage a little and replaced it... Anyone have any ideas? Could an ignition switch maybe cause this? Thanks
Do you think it may be related to the clutch pedal being pushed down?

flexplate bolts might be loose, allowing it to rub against the starter

Or loose bell housing bolts, or excessive crankshaft end play.

Back