• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wobbly Tilt Steering

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My tilt steering wobble has gotten worse over the last 2 months, so yesterday was the day to "tighten" it up. It was a bit more of a PITA that I thought but still not difficult. I had taken the wheel off before to clean and lube the turn signal switch so I figured I had already been halfway there.

I get is down the the knuckle but don't want to pull those 3 pins that separate the 2 halves of the housing and I can reach two of those reverse Torx. Got them cranked down so the column is nice and tight now. Hopefully the other reverse Torxs stay put.

Funny, the writeup says the small housing for the tilt handle will just leap off and it did. Getting the high beam rod in just right almost required a 3 hand. Once I got the main housing on, the rest we pretty easy. Except for 2 bonehead moments.

Before putting the lock plate back on I wanted to test the switches and key. So key on, lights work, blinkers, flashers, high beams. Awesome. Turn key to start, nothing! I'm thinking I forgot to connect something under the dash. All is good there, but no clicky/cranky. Dang! Maybe I nicked a wire or positioned my key lock wrong, so out it all comes. All looks fine so I'm ?????

Put it back together and try again. No clicky, no cranky (insert Curly Howard bark). After scratching my head, I took a break and gathered up the tools all over the floor and my pass seat. It was then I notice my shifter was in 2-1 to allow me to drop the lower dash. Idiot! Back in Park, turn the key Vroom, vroom.

Now on the lock plate. I don't have the compression tool so I rigged up something with some bar clamps. That's how I got the little clip off initially. Guess I didn't position them as well since the lock ring blocked part of the groove. So I position everything and I'm ready to snap the clip in place. Wait, where's the clip? It was here just a second ago. I searched everywhere, the floor, the seats, the ground. I ran a magnet under the seats, along the lower dash, nothing. I certainly don't have anything I can use, and it's after closing at the local Jeep dealers.

So I decided to finish assembly anyway. I just used the steering wheel itself to hold the lock plate on. I left off the plastic cover that goes over the lock plate so it won't get crushed. Cranked down the steering wheel nut and it seems to work. Wheel locks up and everything.

So for now, it's done. Wheel felt tight, it tilts OK, and all lights, switches are working. Perhaps the clip will turn up later today when I vacuum.

Here is a write up (not mine) you can use if you need to try the same thing. Note that it too does not fully disassemble the column but gets you close enough.

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

(Wait, you say!! That's a Chevy site!!) The older Jeeps like mine use a GM column so this one works. Besides, the Jeep based writeups I found no longer have valid links to photos.

I posted this elsewhere and after doing so found the clip. I may try installing it later today but didn't expect to burn most of my day yesterday so I have other things to get done. It should be OK until next weekend.

Well done bubba'd that up. I ended up breaking the collar off the lock cylinder when the clamp slipped. Good thing a local AZ not only had the lock cylinder in stock but the lock ring compression tool too. Was going to rent it but was only $20 so I'll keep it just in case.

What stated out as a simple adjustment of my window track almost turned into a total disaster. For now all is well.

I own a set of those, but I learned how to press the plate down with both feet as a child.

By the way, it's External Torx, E4 if I recall correctly.

Yup. Since they are loose, they generally are easy to get out with your fingers. Things are tight in there and trying to find a "slim" socket that will fit into the column is next to impossible (some GM/sagnaw columns have more room than others). I've found that it's easier and cheaper to replace them with allen headed cap bolts. That way, it's an easy job to tighten them if they ever com loose again.

Back