• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seatbelts... I heard a rumor...

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Talking w/someone today (who knows very little about cars, but works for the gov't), told me that by law, vehicle manufacturers have to replace defective seat belts free of charge for the life of the vehicle.

I am about to research this, but for now am going to call BS...

Anyone have any experience with this??

Edit: I realize now that I have posted this, that it is probably true, but only for DEFECTIVE seat belts not for normal wear and tear.

I'll still look into it, but would love to hear about anyone else's experiences... Thanks.

Last edited:
Found this:

"Another thing that the company offers is a lifetime warranty on the seat belts. About 10 years ago, Chrysler started enforcing the Seat Belt Lifetime Warranty and it covers anything that falls under what could be wrong with the seat belt."

I have also heard this. So back when it was AMC/Jeep was this not true I assume? I had always figured junkyard was the only crack at getting belts unless you wanted to spend hundreds.

Well I got the belt fixed. It would not feed out at all 75% of the time so any passenger would have to ride belt-less. The times it did feed out you had to pull sloooooooowwwwly, and even then it would only feed out about 2" at a time. Back up 1/2" and repeat. Not good.

Removed it and found caked on dirt in both the top and bottom of the bowl shaped housing that holds the ball bearing (these are not the pendulum type most are familiar with). A little silicone spray on the end of a Q-tip and it's cleans a whistle and working properly.

Anywaaaaaayyyyyy.... For anyone else who is having problems with seat belts, maybe try the dealer first. It's probably a hit or miss proposition, but worth a try if you want to save a few bux.....

Also here is the website where I found the above quote on the warranty:
http://warrantyheadquarters.com/warranty/coverage/chrysler

Last edited:
I think it depends on manufacturer, and whether it's a recall or a warranty issue.

I had seatbelt stuff done for free on a ten year old Honda accord. Lifetime recall.

recall? yes. Warranty? probably not.

... Honda accord.

From what I've gleaned from the interwebs, Honda is more than happy to fix seat belt problems.

The jury is still out about Chrysler tho. I'm pretty sure it's the standard 3/36,000...

From 2013 Crysler Standard Warranty:
2.3 Restraint System Limited Warranty
(Vehicles sold and registered in the
State of Kansas only)
For vehicles sold and registered in the State of Kansas,
seatbelts and related seatbelt components are warranted
against defects in workmanship and materials for 10
years, regardless of mileage. This warranty does not
cover replacement of seatbelts and related components
required as the result of collision.

Last edited:
From what I've gleaned from the interwebs, Honda is more than happy to fix seat belt problems.

The jury is still out about Chrysler tho. I'm pretty sure it's the standard 3/36,000...

From 2013 Crysler Standard Warranty:
2.3 Restraint System Limited Warranty
(Vehicles sold and registered in the
State of Kansas only)
For vehicles sold and registered in the State of Kansas,
seatbelts and related seatbelt components are warranted
against defects in workmanship and materials for 10
years, regardless of mileage. This warranty does not
cover replacement of seatbelts and related components
required as the result of collision.

That was Honda's agreement with the NTSB to avoid a forced recall replacement of every seat belt buckle in every Honda made for about 10 years.

Back