• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using coolant, cyl 1 loe on compression

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj 4.0

It uses coolant slowly, like the overflow tank will be at low after maybe 2 months. Compression test indicated 120 on cylinder 1 and 150ish on all the rest. Spark plug in cylinder 1 has extra rust colored crap on the ceramic and ground strap. So do you guys think I need a new head gasket, or cracked head? Its runs great, occasionally on hot restart it will hesitate for a few seconds and have a slightly rough idle. I'm assuming that's some coolant leaking into the cylinder. An oil analysis through blackstone indicated 0.38% coolant contamination.

Thanks.

Pull the head and have a look. Take the head to the machine shop, have them magnaflux it, and if no problems found, a valve job and put it back on.

I've heads that are known to crack turn out to be no more than a head gasket, heads that aren't supposed to crack be both head and head gasket. I've also had it the easy way. Valve job, surface, and bolt it back on.

Last edited:
99 xj 4.0

It uses coolant slowly, like the overflow tank will be at low after maybe 2 months. Compression test indicated 120 on cylinder 1 and 150ish on all the rest. Spark plug in cylinder 1 has extra rust colored crap on the ceramic and ground strap. So do you guys think I need a new head gasket, or cracked head? Its runs great, occasionally on hot restart it will hesitate for a few seconds and have a slightly rough idle. I'm assuming that's some coolant leaking into the cylinder. An oil analysis through blackstone indicated 0.38% coolant contamination.

Thanks.

Not knowing exactly when your '99 was built; the later '99-01 XJs had a problem with the heads cracking. The newly redesigned heads have a 0331 that can be seen thru the hole in the valve cover where you add oil.
Since you have had the test done and read coolant contamination; definitely have the head inspected and magnafluxed to verify if it's cracked or not.

Back