• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door stuck

Can'tget the drivers door to open. Any tricks? I've taken the door panels off an have the locking and handle bars vicecripped and its still stuck.

Manual doors. I've used wd40 and Silicone everywhere including inside the door after the panel was taken off. About ready get out the saw and buy a new door....

Not sure how relatable the two are but ive had the hatch get stuck before and i gave it a hard thump and then it opened right up. Maybe a good bump from the outside might help, the latch might be stuck half open/closed.

Try flipping the door lock to lock, then unlock. While holding the key in that position, press the button. You may have to do it several times. The lock mechanism jumps out of track in the latch, and it won't open no matter how much crap you spray in there. You should feel the button almost grab, but then slip. Flip the lock to lock, then unlock. Repeat. Finessed mine for years before I finally replaced the latch.

Replace the latch before you lock the door again. Use a back door latch.

Last edited:
I just went through this with my rear driverside door. Once locked it would not open after unlocked. If you can reach inside the door feel for a tab towards the top of the latch mechanism and lift it up. That should open the door.

Look for the tab pictured here at the 11 o'clock position of the #1 circle.
68446d1317429245t-rear-drivers-side-door-wont-open-issue-outside-button-image-1593821403.jpg

Last edited:
This happened on my ex wife's 88 once years ago. It turned out to be a tiny little piece in the latch that had broken. I had to take the panel off, and find the part of the latch that opened it, because even manipulating the rods would not work. The broken part was hard to spot.

It was one of my kids driving the thing, so I fixed it, having another latch on hand. Sometimes I'm so nice it hurts!

Back