• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar Radiator PN Differences

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ SE, 4.0, AX15, with AC

I need a new radiator, and after searching discussions, thinking of going Mopar. I am finding two different part numbers:

5191929AA 4.0 LITER, MANUAL TRANS, HD
52079693AE 4.0 LITER, MANUAL TRANS, STANDARD DUTY

The HD is cheaper. Does anyone know the difference?

This is a daily driver. No factory tow package, but I put on an aftermarket hitch receiver and use it for occasional towing of a huge pop-up camper. I've never had any cooling issues.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

'Engine Cooling - Heavy Duty' was part of the Up Country option on my 98. IIRC, the HD radiator was two row versus a single row for the non-HD radiators. Since it's cheaper, I'd go with it.

OP, states AX15, which is manual. So yes.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for the responses. So, Anak, if I'm reading your thread correctly, you went with the standard duty?

I contacted a popular online Mopar dealer regarding the two part numbers and received a somewhat cryptic response today:

"You do have "Max Cooling," however, this radiator is discontinued.
We are unable to source one from FCA."

"Max cooling" sounds like the heavy duty radiator. Since this phrase does not appear in the description, I don't know. Guess I'll make a trip to a local dealer to see what they can get for me.

You can generally buy OEM parts cheaper online than at your local dealer. I've ordered from moparpartsdiscounted and have been pleased with their service.

Last I checked amazon had the radiators available. If you punch in the PN for them it should come up.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for the responses. So, Anak, if I'm reading your thread correctly, you went with the standard duty?

No. The 52080104AC is also a heavy duty radiator. I want to say it is part of middle east desert package or something like that. It is more expensive than the one you are already considering, so I doubt it is the option you will want to choose, but those pictures may at least tell you something useful about the one you are considering.

No. The 52080104AC is also a heavy duty radiator. I want to say it is part of middle east desert package or something like that..
Between my brother, a couple friends and myself, we have tried most of the available radiators. The 52080104AC outperforms the rest. I replaced a near new CSF 3-row with this radiator and saw a big difference in summer temps.

People that complain about the plastic tanks are not old enough to remember what short lifespan radiators had. With the exception of the XJ, I have never replaced a radiator with a plastic tank and we always keep our cars 10+ years.

When buying Mopar parts, I find the lowest online price, from a Jeep dealer or Amazon, print out the sales sheet and take it to local dealer.
They always match the price, good for me and it keeps the business local.

Back