• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust alignment question

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
In a properly aligned exhaust setup, with a good transmission mount, how much clearance should there be between the down pipe at the crossmember? Asking about my 97 XJ.

OK.

I am trying to determine how much my transmission mount may have been collapsed. I put a new dealer one last year and noticed my transfer case was bumping into the factory transfer case skid plate. There was about 1/8" between the bottom of the exhaust mount on the transmission and the cross member. I bought a new transmission mount at NAPA and now there is about 1/2" between the crossmember and bottom of the mount. It changed so much that my driveline angle is off and I would need to change from 4 to 6 degree shims on the rear axle for my ~ 3" lift.

The dealer wonders if the aftermarket NAPA part is deliberately taller. I think the dealer mount is a POS.

Dealer is ordering another mount to compare free height.

You are assuming that either your exhaust, and or anybody else's is not bent, or replaced by some generic parts. You need a comparison of two fixed points such as the transfer case or the rear driveshaft and a stock cross member that is not bent.

Rather than try to fix a duct tape solution with more duct tape, such as axle shims or playing musical transmission mounts, either drop the transfer case cross member with some spacers, or better yet, install an SYE.

You might also consider that a u-joint is worn, and that altering its operating angles slightly with the new transmission mount has caused it to begin vibrating.

That's why in post #3, I changed the reference point. The measurement from the bottom of the mount to the top of the cross member is only dependent on the height of the transmission mount unless we are dealing with tweaked mounts and crossmember. To date I have only seen mounts with wallowed out rubber blocks, but the metal cage and plate remain intact. I already have a SYE and pinion angle was setup for the dealer mount, but I believe I may have got a bad or incorrect part.

My transfer case was banging the skid too, that is why I switched to the Stinky Fab trans mount, to reduce the vertical movement. The stock mount is very soft and smooth and also allows a lot of vertical movement. The Stinky Fab mount allows for rotation/twist but not very much vertical movement.

The exhaust can be repositioned a little bit if you loosen the bolts at the donut enough to pry things around. I also notched my T&T crossmember to get even more clearance but if you are using a stock crossmember then that isn't really an option.

My transfer case was banging the skid too, that is why I switched to the Stinky Fab trans mount, to reduce the vertical movement. The stock mount is very soft and smooth and also allows a lot of vertical movement. The Stinky Fab mount allows for rotation/twist but not very much vertical movement.

The exhaust can be repositioned a little bit if you loosen the bolts at the donut enough to pry things around. I also notched my T&T crossmember to get even more clearance but if you are using a stock crossmember then that isn't really an option.

Right after I installed the dealer mount I could move the transfer case up and down just by tugging on the driveshaft. Since it was new, and dealer, I figured this was as designed and that any aftermarket part may use a different type of rubber/composite with differing characteristics. I do believe the dealer mount on my 01 XJ is about as tall as the NAPA but may be stiffer. Since the 01's have a different exhaust mount at the transmission I can't compare the height that way. I am planning on getting the Stinky Fab tranny mount. Holding off a little because I'm on the fence between an all out Brown Dog solution and combining the Stinky Fab plates with either factory rubber mounts or the Brown Dog rubber mounts.

Did you notice any vibration difference between the Stinky Fab tranny mount and stock?

All of the sleeve type mounts vibrate when new. I found a rubber bushing and it has broken in pretty well by now, about the same timeframe as the Brown Dog mounts needed. Stinky Fab ships with poly but I don't race or beat on rocks, rubber is for DD

I still don't understand why you are asking. PhotoJared really wasn't too far off with his answer. Also am wondering how anybody is supposed to know what it is you are asking about, or the data you need, if you don't provide any info about Jeep, any modifications or other relevant info, or why it is you are asking for the data.

If you have an SYE, how is 1/3 of an inch going alter your drive line angles enough to need the shims changed ?

I still don't understand why you are asking. PhotoJared really wasn't too far off with his answer. Also am wondering how anybody is supposed to know what it is you are asking about, or the data you need, if you don't provide any info about Jeep, any modifications or other relevant info, or why it is you are asking for the data.

If you have an SYE, how is 1/3 of an inch going alter your drive line angles enough to need the shims changed ?

ehall understands the issue. In post #1, "Asking about my 97 XJ." In post #3, "I am trying to determine how much my transmission mount may have been collapsed." Driveshaft angle minus pinion angle was <=2 degrees with the dealer mount and now 2.5-3 degrees. When jacking up the trans you can see the angle change.

I have been looking into some clunks and found the transfer case was hitting the factory skid and 1/8" clearance between the bottom of the exhaust mount at the transmission.

Oughta be able to fit a fat index finger between the bottom of the exhaust pipe and top of cross member.

With the NAPA mount I can do that. Dealer warrantied the mount. On the bench the new mount measured at least 1/8" higher than the one I took off. No telling what it will do if installed. The old dealer mount rubber was very soft and spongy. No oil leaks or anything to cause it.

I'll probably try the replacement dealer mount and see how it compares. The NAPA is probably a cheap Anchor mount that will break rather than sag. I noticed that NAPA now has a DriveTech series of mounts that are supposedly more OEM like, but none of the stores near me stock them.

Back