• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key won't pull out after new engine install

DaveNJeep

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ 4.0 AW4

After installing the replacement 4.0 the ignition key wont pull out. It won't turn all the back to the proper position to remove the key. I think it may have to with the tranny shifter adjustment. Any thoughts?

Remove the interlock cable from the shifter linkage?

91 still has the GM column, I have a 92 out back with the same. I would go ahead and pull the wheel, lock plate, and maybe even the turn signals to gain access to the button or screw which retains the cylinder, because it slides out in the on position. Slide a new one in, problem solved... Unless the linkage to the ignition switch down on the column is busted, pewter gear and D-ring. Either way, once it's out, if you can work the tab down in there with pliers and find all your detents, a new cylinder will solve your problem.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up working the linkage by hand and you literally hear a click from the ignition. I guess it got a little bound up during the engine removal. Works fine now, thanks.

Back