• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wire Stud for PDC on 94 XJ

rarmstrong

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ and am doing a primary (battery terminal Pos/Neg) wire upgrade.The red power wire that goes from battery (+) to the PDC has a wire stud with 2 holes in it. It looks like the stud services two posts with one wire. I'm putting in 4AWG wire for replacement but can only find one-hole studs. Can anyone tell me where I can find a 2-hole wire stud replacement for this? Other ways to solve it?

Are you talking about two hole wire lugs such as this:

51vhhgDMIAL.jpg

If so, you will need to search places like this:

http://www.grainger.com/category/lu...ors/wire-connectors/electrical/ecatalog/N-dec

Scroll through any you will find a few. Wire gauge, stud size and distance between stud centers (the threaded bit that goes through the lug) will dictate your selection.

All the above assumes I am interpreting your inquiry correctly. Apologies if wrong.

At any rate, welcome aboard.

Hi Anak,
Yes, that is what I was referring to. I have attached a picture link from the PDC so it is evident. See screw-driver tip pointing to it.
PDC-2hole-Lug.jpg

I plan on using #4awg or #2awg wire.

Do any of you know if I can simply cut off the 2-hold lug and place over the two studs in the PDC and just place a single-hole lug on top of that for the same effect? I ask because of timing and cost.

Thanks Digger.

I'm hoping you or someone here can answer just a few more dumb-ass questions from me:).

- I'm planing to upgrade all neg (ground) and power cables to battery, starter and alternator.
- I also plan to install a winch, that I my only use occasionally (1 or 2 times per year is my guess as I'm pretty conservative with off roading but don't want to be stranded).
- I have some #4 awg black marine-grade wire already cut to size for ground wires, but not enough for all the power (+) wiring also.

Q1 - do you think #4 awg is sufficient given the winch? as far as other accessories probably only some LED front and rear lights on the bumpers.

Q2 - if I use #4 awg for the ground wires (fender to battery, battery to engine, engine to firewall), would it do me any good to use #2 for the positive wires (would it gain me anything or should I stay with same gauge for + and - wires)?

Q3 - My 94 shows the alternator wire going from alternator to in-line fuse, then from in-line fuse to the PDC connected to a 60A PDC fuse (PWR2). Would it work just as well to not go to the PDC at all but instead go with upgraded wire form alternator to a bolt-down "Mega" fuse, then from "Mega" fuse straight to battery?

thanks in advance!

4 ga. is light for a winch. I am running 0 ga, I believe, but you should have at least 2 ga.

I would not run a smaller gauge wire for a ground. Unlike AC house wiring, where ground is simply a safety factor, automotive ground sees the same current flow as the positive.

David Bricker / SYR

I've been a professional auto tech for 30 years. The following are my opinions that are based in real world trial and failure.

The winch should be wired directly to the battery. Your choice to run a circuit breaker in line. Might do some good in a collision. Use the cable that came with the winch.

Upgrading the positive wire to the PDC is pointless really, it is of sufficient size for what it does, especially after connecting the alternator directly to the battery.

Upgrading the alternator batt+ wire is a very good thing, as is connecting it straight to the battery. This eliminates the major current draw though the PDC when using a winch. 4ga will more than readily handle any loads that even an upgraded alternator will put out. A circuit breaker or fusible link is advisable here as well but not necessary.

And finally, grounds. Battery to engine, battery to body and engine to body. 4ga is fine here too, as having multiple grounds eliminates the need for heavier wire.

A good battery is essential, as it is what supplies the grunt of the operation for the vehicle, especially for winching . The alternator is there to recharge the battery, not run things.

Back