• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for confirmation on death of power window regulator/motor assembly

Mirage mobile

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ
Front Driver window motor got slower and slower over the past 6 months.

One day it stopped responding. I just checked and there is 13V supply when the switch is actuated (up and down). I cannot hear anything in the regulator/motor.

Does this confirm I need a new regulator/motor assembly?
If so, opinions on Dorman, ACDelco, or sourcing an OEM?

Thanks guys.

Confirmation will be when you test the power window motor using 12 volts directly to the motor wire plug. Driver sdoor wiring harness problems are common with the Cherokee.

Always test/diagnose before you start repairs or buying parts.

If applying 12v to the motor makes it start working, then the motor is good.

While you have the door apart, take a minute to clean and re lube the tracks (if possible)

Clean tracks will help a weak motor last a couple years longer

99's were real common for the wire harness to brake inside the boot that runs from the body to the door, may want to check this too. Assuming you are checking voltage with a DVOM, you could have 12 volts at the motor connector but after the wire gets bent back and forth like a bread tie opening and closing the door..... there could only be two strands left making contact. This will give you a voltage value, but the circuit will not carry load. I would peel the boot back and take a quick look inside.

Back