• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More AW4 Problems...

XJROMEO

NAXJA Forum User
So started out last month I went to browns camp for a day trip with bmikes. Well wheeled all day no problems(that I noticed) and I made it home that Saturday evening and I had planned to take my jeep to the beach that Sunday well fired it up left the house didn't make it to the end of the road and all hell broke loose. So that being said anyone ever had anything break inside a torque converter before? I have a 97 Cherokee sport and low and behold the aw4 23 spline went out completely, it wouldn't shift at all. And it had a noise that sounded like a bolt was bouncing around in it. So after checking the flexplate making sure those bolts were tight and checking the shift solenoids and making sure those were getting the right resistance I decided to swap the trans, so I put the new one in and took it out for the test drive everything was fine. Shifted super smooth but after about the first few mins I'm assuming after the fluid warmed up that sound came back( I swear it sounds like a bolt). It only makes that noise when its in D,3,1-2. When its in P or N there's no noise whatsoever. Its driving me nuts. Any input is appreciated.

Sorry yea does it in reverse as well.. Its got me baffled. Ill definitely check the transfer case input bearing though. Definitely haven't checked it yet.

Yea I did, which I learned the hard way is a no no. After looking around it some more last night I'm feeling that I'm gonna have to drop the trans again and put a new torque converter in it.

Something came apart in the converter would be my guess, might have had something to do with the other trans going tango uniform....

Back