• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool swap/rent/borrow thread

ArBrnSnpr

NAXJA Forum User
Another forum I'm on has a thread in the regional section where people loan, borrow, rent, swap etc. tools.

Tools can get pricey and can sometimes mean the difference between getting a job done or not and when it's a tool you'll use once and put in a drawer for the next 5 years it sometimes just makes more sense to borrow one if the option is there.

That said, I've come across a few tools or useful items in the Jeep world that I had to buy to do a job and so far I've ponied up the cash and bought the tool but there some items I just can't swing financially right now. A tubing bender is a perfect example - I'd rather save my money and buy a decent tube bender when I can than buy a Harbor Freight pipe bender and try to make it work.

What I have to contribute:

Beam style inch/lb torque wrench, 0-60 #
Dana 44 set up bearings (carrier, pinion races, outer pinion bearing)
I can press any bearing a 12 ton press can handle
Air chisel - great for removing factory body-side control arm mounts
Air hammer
Diagnostic code reader - reads real-time values

My motivation here is to help a community I'm new to, but there's obviously an underlying self-serving angle - so here it is: If someone would let me bring some tubing by their garage or shop and show me the ropes and let me make a few bends I'd be willing to compensate them with their icy beverage of choice, pizza, watching me try to do cartwheels, a reasonable fee, a trade... let me know.

This is actually a Great idea!

I will compile a list of unique tools tomorrow and contribute.

Also, Add your exact town, I'm located in SE PDX...

So will there be a nwc tool help sticky and or downloadable graph like we used to have for the emergency contact list?

Also, is this gonna be a RED letter only participate and use list or open to every random forum user?

So will there be a nwc tool help sticky and or downloadable graph like we used to have for the emergency contact list?

Also, is this gonna be a RED letter only participate and use list or open to every random forum user?

It's been my experience on other forums that offered such a service that it was a "use at your own risk" feature that was available to both supporting and non-supporting members.

Contact info is a good idea though in case you find yourself needing a tool in hurry.

........ guess I'm just an elitist but I'm all for helping almost anybody out there but I'm not going to open up my home / garage and tools to some random person who hasn't at least showed to have a vested interest in our chapter.

........ guess I'm just an elitist but I'm all for helping almost anybody out there but I'm not going to open up my home / garage and tools to some random person who hasn't at least showed to have a vested interest in our chapter.

Fair enough.

Being from the same geographic community has always been good enough for me to "help a neighbor" with shared interests and was also enough motivation for me to bring the idea of a tool sharing thread to the NW chapter. Though I am not a supporting member in the financial sense, I'm willing to be a supporting member in the sense that I will offer my tools and know-how to a fellow forum member - even one who hasn't contributed money to the forum.

That isn't to say I'm going to help the first tweaker load my welder into the trunk of his car and wave as he drives off (and expect to see it again) simply because he registered on NAXJA. However if someone shows up and needs to use my set-up bearings because he doesn't have the spare cash to buy a set to modify, I'll let him. If I never see them again, then I can assume he needed them more than I do and I'll make another set the next time I do a gear install. I guess it will just vary based on the tool's value and the totality of the circumstances.

In the end If someone doesn't want to let me come to their garage and use their tubing bender because I haven't "paid my dues" to this forum I can understand that also. I'll just hold off for the next guy who is more like-minded to myself. Maybe by then I'll have my own...

anybody have an inner tie rod tool like this?

41ITO9T9noL.jpg

portland metro-east side area?

I love owning my own tools but for something I may only need once...

Back