• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some sdvice bleeding brakes

stardust

NAXJA Forum User
Hello
I just switched out my abs system to a vacuum system (abs motor died) and now I can't seem to get brakes back. I have bled the brakes about 6 or 7 times at least and still have very mushy brakes. Is there something I'm overlooking or something else I can try? I put on a new master cylinder and bled that before the rest of the system.
Thanks for any advice.

What year Jeep, or what ABS system?

That would make it the Bendix 9 ABS, I don't miss it.

One thing I have had to do was replace the wheel cylinders in the drum brakes. They are different diameters between the ABS and non-ABS systems.

What year vacuum booster did you install?

If you got the respective proportioning valve, changing the wheel cylinders should get your pedal back.

Keep the proportioning valve that came with the booster and master cylinder, they are designed and sized to work together. The only other part that is out of spec for your brake system is the rear wheel cylinders.

I helped a buddy do the same conversion to his XJ, and he did the same to two more XJs. All had the same problem mine did, until he thought to change the rear wheel cylinders.

Did you let the master cylinder run dry? If so, did you bench bleed it? If not, do that before anything else. Otherwise, you'll never get the air out of the MC. You can bench bleed with it installed; I actually think it's easier that way. And if you're not familiar with bench bleeding, just Google it.

Back