• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some input on an XJ Dana 44 gear install

ArBrnSnpr

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I'm in the middle of installing a new ring and pinion in a Dana 44 on my XJ. The donor axle came from an 89'.

I pulled the original carrier and pinion out and am getting started setting up the new pinion and noticed the old set up did not have an oil slinger. The diff looks like it's been apart before so I'm not sure if it was not put back together correctly or if there is in fact no oil slinger on a rear XJ 44.

After a decent amount of searching, all the exploded diagrams I can find seem to suggest different info.

I only realized the slinger wasn't present after initially setting up the pinion with the same size shim pack as was previously installed and having zero back lash.

Any input from someone with experience with this axle is appreciated!

I am looking at snap-on shop key right now, It doesn't show a slinger. My dana 35 didn't have one either. or 8.25. Dana 44 is a low pinion, like the 35, so it doesn't require a slinger. High pinion 30 does have a slinger.

Back