• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Dashboard Feature 2000 XJ Classic

Bearsquito

NAXJA Forum User
Any ideas what may have been mounted in these two holes on the dashboard? This looks seamless with the dash, like it was this way from the factory.

lMkMSwH.jpg

I did a bit of googling, and it appears that routed rectangular area is standard, but the PO likely drilled holes in it. Any ideas what the purpose of that rectangle is or what options could have been installed there?

That is definitely aftermarket, look how jagged the two holes are.
Probably the PO installed a couple of switches or indicator lights and then removed them.
Replace with the same, use the holes for a couple of switches or indicator lights. There are never too many good location for switches.

BTW, downsize your photos before posting them, they are HUGE.

That definitely seems reasonable; that rounded rectangular area in the dash was just throwing me off.

I'll keep the pic size in mind. I was doing this all on my phone, which does a good job of hiding the fact that the pictures are huge.

Yeah, I saw that too. That's when I was thinking phone with a mic, but cb with that clip seems likely too.

I used to go up north for some night rides with a buddy in the early 90s on Monday evenings and we would mount a little portable lcd tv to the dash so we could see the game on the way. State of the art casio 2.5" colour screen in glorious low definition.

Last edited:
Plenty of dashboards have ugly holes drilled unskillfully into them... Definately not a feature unless its for sale on craigslist.

That definitely seems reasonable; that rounded rectangular area in the dash was just throwing me off.

I'll keep the pic size in mind. I was doing this all on my phone, which does a good job of hiding the fact that the pictures are huge.

I read somewhere that the "rectangular" area was for the shifter display on police and govt units, that had steering column mounted shifters. There was no floor shifter in those models, so the P-R-N-D-2-1 display was moved there.....

I read somewhere that the "rectangular" area was for the shifter display on police and govt units, that had steering column mounted shifters. There was no floor shifter in those models, so the P-R-N-D-2-1 display was moved there.....

Govt/Police packages came with the floor shifter.

There is a screen there for European turbo diesel rigs. It's an indicator for the glow plugs.

MJ12.jpg

Back