• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks for a 2000 4.0 sport with no lift?

josh870

NAXJA Forum User
not sure which shocks i need, my XJ is the sport model and looks a bit taller than the usual jeep, i need all 4 shocks and they need to be under $50 each. any suggestions? i tried searching threads. thanks
i dont know what brands are good, rough country shocks look nice, but they only have rear shocks for trucks with no lift, which seems odd

Last edited:
sport means nothing in regards to suspension.
the only factory suspension different is the up country model.

even that one still uses the same shocks, as it's only an inch different.

I'd go buy the cheapest set of name brand shocks at the parts store and rock out. It's not a racecar. unless you're willing to pony up for bilsteins or the like all gas charged shocks are pretty much the same.

oh thanks, i always though sport was the upcountry one :doh: it must be the upcountry though it is definitely higher than any stock jeep i have seen. 19" from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender flare. the local places only had $20, $30 or $90 shocks. but i found a pepboys that has Monroe Sensa-Trac for $46.99 and a 20% off coupon, now i know its the same shock i will grab them i guess

:huh:any tips on how to get the upper shock bolts off?? mine are totally rusted and the head is stripped! theres no room for vice grips.

dont know how to break them off, the heads are round, i could drill them i suppose. but is there a right up somewhere for how to get in there?

awesome link, thanks alot. hopefully i can get by without the air hammer. just finished the front shocks, should get the back done tomorrow :looney:

if you cut out the floor to gain access to the nuts you just grind them down them from the backside and shove them through the hole.

you're cutting the floor to put new ones in anyway.

if i did break the bolts, i dont really see why i would have to cut the floor, there is enough access to feed a bolt through with a wire and reach with a long wrench. but anyways it would take alot of time and i think i am ready to admit failure on this one and pay the $75 to have it done. unless i get a boost of energy between now and monday. thanks for all the help though!

First time I did the rear shock upper mounts (one of my first xj jobs) I had the heap in the garage for a week of swearing and too much beer screwing around with map gas torches, reverse thread drill bits, and cheap ass Harbour freight "labour saving" clever gadgets.
That's before I learned that there is no shame in grabbing a bigger tool or an air hammer and knocking the crap out of the rusty useless bits.

alright well the mechanic couldnt do it so i get to cut open my floor :looney: looking at that awesome link you sent me manche, im not sure how im going to grind the weld nuts off, i only have a 4.5" grinder and it looks like it might be too big to do it. what would be the best tool for the job? thanks

After cutting holes in the floor I used a short handled sledge hammer and a large chisel, got it between the head of the bolt and the sheet metal, and pounded them off. Took a minute or two of hammering on each and working the chisel edge around the perimeter of the bolt head, but they ultimately popped off.

the problem is the bolts are still intact, i cant get them to come out or break the heads off so the nuts probably wont budge with a hammer

You are on the right track. Do not start cutting holes in your jeeps floorboards, there's no need and that method will just take twice as long.

If you can't snap the heads off the bolts, use your angle grinder or a dremel with cut off disc to cut the heads off flush with the bar-pin. If it's too tight to get those tools in there, start drilling the head off with a big enough drill bit. You might not even need to drill the entire head out, just enough to weaken the metal then get a socket around it and torque it until it snaps.
It doesn't have to look pretty because you'll be replacing the hardware anyways. Just do what it takes. Once you have cut off the heads, remove the shocks completely. At this point you'll be looking at the remainder of the bolts which are rusted to the inside of the jeeps "frame". Lets call them the studs from now on.

I used a large center punch and 5lb hammer to knock the studs out. I had a hard time getting the center punch to stay centered while I hammered on it, so I drilled a shallow pilot hole with 1/8" bit in the center of broken stud. 2-3 solid whacks with the hammer and they popped off and I was left with clean mounting holes under the jeep.

Next, you can either feed new grade 8 hardware (I believe I used 3/8 x 1" but can't remember) by using the wire method through the access panel OR by taping your new bolt to a wrench and fishing it through the access panel that way. Either method will work and it will only take 5 minutes, gauranteed.

I had the heads snapped off, hammered out, new hardware fished through and both rear shocks installed in less than 45 minutes. Only advice I'd give is wear eye protection since there's alot of dirt that gets knocked off when you're hammering on the old shock bolts.

Back