• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start woe

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
I ran the XJ twice this morning for errands but when I went to leave my Uncle's she refused to start. When I turn the key to crank her up I hear the fuel pump and I have plenty of gas but she won't turn over and the temp guage moves to max.

Does this sound like a starter or coil issue or something else?

Same results trying to start in P and in N

Is it not cranking or not starting while it is cranking over? What year?

It is an 87, it won't crank at all. I just tore the NSS apart and cleaned it again, it was still good from the last time I did it ten years ago. I wonder if it just completely gave up the ghost?

brake light coming on in crank position is normal. It's called a bulb check.

causes could be ignition switch, starter relay, starter relay ground (through the nss) or starter solenoid.

I'll keep digging. When turning the key in P and N I hear the the fuel sending unit push, but not in gear so that rules the NSS out. No current to the starter points to the selonoid a bit doesn't it?

Fun times. LOL

Pulled the starter and had it tested... It was froze up solid. I have the new one in hand with a lifetime guarantee thanks to autozone. I should have it installed shortly,

Back