• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic headlight restorer and wipers

I used some off brand from WalMart and it seemed to work well on my Nissan. Directions are: cleaner, wet sand, rinse off, finer wet sand, dry and then seal. The cleaner, two pieces of sandpaper and the sealer come in the bag for about 10 bucks. 2 yrs ago and still looks a lot better than it did. Not like new but close

A buddy of mine uses OFF insect repellant on a dry cloth and his lights look great. Like new.

I haven't found a good headlight restorer that lasts. It seems once you sand/polish the top layer off it removes any UV coating that is left and the plastic just fades quicker and quicker after the first restore.

For wipers I love the PIAA silicone blades. They are a bit pricey but I've had a set on my XJ since 2010 which is unheard of here in AZ, the sun just dry rots wiper blades quick from my experience. I've sense put the PIAAs on all my other vehicles. They come in different blade styles, I actually really liked there old style with a little spoiler on them, did well to shield the sun I think. But there newer styles are fine too.

I use Crest toothpaste on my headlights and it works pretty well. For wipers I've always just used the Amco wipers you can get at Walmart.

Use Off! Deepwoods mosquito repellant with DEET.

I am not joking. I have tried restore kits from the store and they were hardly effective. Saw a video on you-tube (I think) about using Off bug spray. Spray it on a rag and rub it on the headlight. You will be amazed.

I haven't found a good headlight restorer that lasts.
It seems once you sand/polish the top layer off it removes any UV coating that is left and the plastic just fades quicker and quicker after the first restore. QUOTE]

I have polished a half dozen plastic headlights and all have turned yellow again within a year or less.
Once the protective UV coating has been removed, the game is over. Many times, you can see the remnants of the original coating being removed, while polishing.

None of the kits come with an effective coating, the best just put a temporary coating that looks nice...for a few days, before evaporating.
Once your headlights start hazing or turning yellow, start looking for new headlights.
I sold a nice, older Acura last year because the HID headlights had become unusable and new housings were $700 a pair, if at all available.

What XJ has plastic headlights? Stock XJs are glass. Even the aftermarket E-code housings are glass.

I used the kit from Mothers on a Focus and it's still clear after a couple years. If you want something longer lasting you could try SEM Solaray UV Clearcoat but it requires a UV lamp for curing.

What XJ has plastic headlights? Stock XJs are glass. Even the aftermarket E-code housings are glass.

I figured he had a ZJ or WJ...

Back