• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Wrangler 4.0 into a 94 XJ????

Joshpowell16

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been looking for a replacement head for my 94, and I stumbled across a 4.0 out of a 97 Wrangler for $300 with a bad cam, bit comes with crank and rods to make a stroker out of it. My question is, will it hookup in a 94 XJ?

Didn't the 97s have coil packs instead of a distributor? If so how can I make it work without going broke?

Will just the head work to swap over?

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange with any 1997-99 TJ Wrangler 4.0L.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These “S” VIN blocks from a 1999-04 WJ and 2000-06 Wrangler blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks, or with 1997-99 TJ. The reason for the non-interchange is that motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or are not present at all.

$300 for a core motor? Nope! Find a running engine for that price.

Back