• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ Help me fix it up to sell it

ss427ci

NAXJA Forum User
This Cherokee has been in our Engineer Company longer than I have. I know of 5 owners personally. It has been sitting for a year or so, and the PO never got around to fixing it. The transmission wouldn't shift, so I paid $300 to take it off his hands. I already fixed the transmission and overall it runs great now. There are still a few issues that I will list. I am open to ideas on how to go about the repairs and what else to check out.

Trans issue thread ->1995 XJ With a trans shift issue

16864769558_0dc591ba17_c.jpg

Specs:
1995 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 2WD, AW4, C8.25, ALL STOCK.

Done:
Replaced Battery
Changed oil/filter - Delo HD 15w40/Puralator
Changed Transmission Fluid - Supertech Dex/Merc III
New Trans filter & pan gasket
Replaced all 3 shift solenoids
Replaced Throttle Position Sensor
Replaced Coolant Temp Sensor
Replaced Oil Pressure Switch
Cleaned throttle body
Adjusted Throttle TV cable
Painted exterior trim satin black
Painted wheels gloss black
Cleaned interior real good
New floor mats
New steering wheel cover
New liftgate struts

Problems left to solve:
Needs new door check arms
Driver door lock will not rotate
Passenger door lock has been pried out and now is loose
Liftgate latch will not lock or unlock with key
Coolant Temp still does not register, will replace thermostat
Flush radiator
Oil drain plug hole is stripped, will tap and go one size bigger
Change oil once more
Change differential fluid
Clay bar paint
Really needs tires
2 rust holes in the rear roof, along with a rusted out passenger rear pillar (biggest problem)

Goal: To sell a clean & good running XJ with minimal investment. I'm not trying to jerry-rig anything, but I'm not trying to make it perfect either. I think I can turn a decent profit with a little time and effort.

Last edited:
After the transmission was solved, the next biggest problem was the rear hatch would not open. This prevented me from even getting to the rust outs and cleaning the rear hatch area.

After trying WD40 through the key hole to no avail, I ended up cutting an area to I could manually operate the latch.
17020762598_c270e63285_c.jpg

17020968800_82e674327b_c.jpg

This is what was rolling around loose inside there, still trying to figure out where that goes or if it is broken.
16589743993_2c664e2ee5_c.jpg

Prepped for paint. It got dark by the time I was done, so I'll have to get some after pictures later.
17022344389_d1b499b62a_c.jpg

17020758958_b284337de6_c.jpg

16588311473_6a07620bea_c.jpg

I plan on using fibglass resin for the large hole (pictured) and a body patch with body filler for the smaller hole (not pictured). It looks like the PO tried to fill the hole with spray foam, which probably held water and made it much worse than it was.

17022338319_eda3c733fd_c.jpg

Now what do I do with this mess?
17184001486_85bc8705c7_c.jpg

Option 1) Prime it, then somehow form fiberglass resin around it
Problems: This is where the lifgate strut mounts and will see a lot of stress, not to mention it is a structural part of the vehicle. Not sure if it is strong enough.

Option 2) Cut some steel to weld in place
Problems: Don't have a welder or scrap metal lying around and no way of forming steel to fit this contoured area. Additional costs.

Option 3) Cut this section from a junkyard XJ
Problems: Above mentioned, plus a lot more effort than I wanted to put into this quick project, and only 1 junkyard on island.

Option 4) Cut out the rust, prime it, paint it and tell the next owner to just prop up the liftgate with a 2x4
Problems: I will have to accept a lot less than I could get, if I leave this un-repaired.

Back