• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ TPS Output Volt Low Even With Good Ground.

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep has been running dopey for a good while and even with changing alot of things its still been the same. I Tested the TPS and the supply volts were 5v like its supposed to be but the output volts are low its only 3.6v wide open.

I checked the ground wires ohms and it was like 2 ohms. Took the wires off the dipstick tube cleaned them real good and put them back and its down to about 1.02 ohms. Yet my output v is still about 3.7v. So then i ran my own ground wire from the TPS connecter to the dipstick tube eliminating the factory wire going through harness. Ohmed it and got like .098, re checked output v and its still the same about 3.7v so now im pretty clueless.

My oem TPS read same volts as a replacement TPS i changed on it so now i dont know if the computer is messed up somehow, even though im getting 5v constant volts. any help would be great.

Way this thing runs now its almost like it doesnt make much more power when you gas on it good almost like anything over 50% throttle doesnt make much difference in power, acts weak with a load on it trying to accelerate or go up hills.

Cruiser's tips are here on naxja as well..

Crap, thought i had vehicle info in my sig. its a 94 5 speed. My cat is near new magnaflow cat. fuel pressure is good at 49 now since it has hesco FPR and intake/injectors from a 2000.

Any1 else have input on this? i read the stuff from cruiser but mines not a renix, thanks.

Annnd one more bump...

What is the supply voltage going to the TPS?

Really thats normal? i thought it was supposed to be right at 4.5v? It is a little weird even with a better ground the volts didnt really go past 3.7v.

As long as the throttle blade is actually at WOT, The ECU will recognize 3.7 volts as WOT. 2 or 3 tenths of a volt doesn't mean diddly in the fuel metering algorithm.

Last edited:
Well alright then guess ill leave it be then, thanks.

Back