• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 AX15/NP231 to '99 2WD AW4 conversion issues

Skits

NAXJA Forum User
Save me from my lack of pre-project research.

I converted a '99 auto 2WD to manual 4x4 using the guts from a rolled '97. Swapped over everything including ECU, and it runs and drives but I have some unresolved issues.

The main issue is the speedo output on the back of the t-case is different than the connector. I lengthened the harness only to find out that it doesn't plug in. From what I've read, the VSS changed in '97, but I'm hoping that since I'm using the 97 computer I can just wire in the correct plug. Will that work, and if so where can I buy just the plug or a pigtail?

Issue number 2 is backup lights. I have the wires isolated from the connector that used to go to the now-bypassed NSS and gear position swith, but I need the appropriate connector for the AX15 because I wasn't smart enough to swipe it from the donor. Can I just buy this plug as well?

Lastly, a code popped up for the evap solenoid valve right after first startup. I haven't had time to diagnose it, but thought I'd ask it there was any possibility it shared a ground with something I've disconnected (shift solenoids, nss, speedo), that's causing it to throw a code.

Thanks for any help.

Apparently I can't edit my posts.

If anyone comes across this in the future with the same issue, the connectors are different for the speed sensor and backup lights. There are the same number of pins, and it looks like you can just wire in a new plug. Napa has pigtail connectors available under the Echlin brand.

This place ain't what it used to be, huh?

Back