• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ R134 conversion/parallel condenser install. Need help with hoses.

Fringeless

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of converting my r 12 system to r134a. I am going to replace my serpentine condenser with an aftermarket parallel condenser that has the extension tubes with threaded o ring connection (I think like type 2 condenser) instead of going the ackits universal route or the 97+ condenser route (has spring lock connections), Ive been thinking about something like this http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Air...-242-8---14-4-0&sr=1-3&ymm=1992:jeep:cherokee

Or one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...XSSabHJQY1ypU7pXMgcR2RoCKIDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Probably go with the second style-more surface area.
Honestly, I do not know the difference between "type" 1 and 2 condensers, other than one has the extension pipes and one doesn't. I know that my 92 does not have the extension pipes, the discharge and liquid lines thread directly into the top and bottom of the condenser.
On to the question, what is the difference? capacity? I have looked high and low to find the hoses that match up with the extension pipe to now avail. Id rather change out my hoses to barrier 134 type and and prefer the "pnp" play approach. If all else fails, Ill just have to cut my steel Liquid and discharge lines and braze on my own fittings. Any one know of what hoses that will fit my 92? part numbers? years?

After taming to cooling and tuning issues (long story) of the stroker, feel like its time to tame my cockpit "cooling" issue.:piratefla

Why change the condenser? I have the original in my 92 XJ and it works great on 134a. Sounds like you are making tons of work for yourself... Just replace it with the original style?

R-134a is not as efficient as R-12. A complete changeover would use all R-134a spec parts.

I would just keep on using R-12.

I'd fill it with 152a.

cause it works.

it's cheap
and requires no retrofit to the r12 bits due to similar performance.

Why change the condenser? I have the original in my 92 XJ and it works great on 134a. Sounds like you are making tons of work for yourself... Just replace it with the original style?

The parallel flow condenser deals with the higher head pressures of 134a, just look at any newer vehicle. I live in the desert (S. New Mexico) Trust me, even with a charge of 134 x .8 +/-.05 in my spec r12 system, the head pressures climb in stop and go. Furthermore, higher head temps, equal higher temps/superheating all of that heat is passed on to my radiator. When it is 116 degrees outside, and I am sitting at a red light 134 with my stock condenser is not cutting it.

R-134a is not as efficient as R-12. A complete changeover would use all R-134a spec parts.

I would just keep on using R-12.

I can buy r-12, but cannot get over how much it cost. For the cost of a jug, I can retrofit and have decent performance. If you have a line on some r-12, shoot me a pm. :looney::piratefla

I'd fill it with 152a.

cause it works.

it's cheap
and requires no retrofit to the r12 bits due to similar performance.

I have a can tap and tons of dust off cans. Just for shits and giggles, (translation, experiment) I mixed propane and butane 60/40 by weight in an evacuated coleman 16oz'r. By god, the performance was phenomenal. Just for shits, what is the charge ratio of 152 compared to 12 and 134? What kind of charge did you install? Tell me a bit about the performance (ambient, vent, high and low, standing traffic) and so on.
:piratefla

filled it until the pressures were in spec on the hi and low side.
called it good.

Worked like it was factory.
never bothered to do weight conversion or anything. That was way too much work.

I would not be standing next to your Jeep if it develops a refrigerant leak with the engine running. :explosion

it's not really a big deal.

152a has an auto ignition temp of over 800 degrees, and the likelihood of reaching the PPM requirement for an explosive mixture underhood with a cooling fan moving air and about a pound of refrigerant is next to nothing.

I'm far more concerned with the high pressure fuel rail spraying gasoline underhood than a refrigerant leak.

it's not really a big deal.

152a has an auto ignition temp of over 800 degrees, and the likelihood of reaching the PPM requirement for an explosive mixture underhood with a cooling fan moving air and about a pound of refrigerant is next to nothing.

I'm far more concerned with the high pressure fuel rail spraying gasoline underhood than a refrigerant leak.

I second that. OK, some info on the ratio of 152a to 134a is .64
You just multiply your charge of 134a by .64 and it will yeild an equivalent charge. Now for and equivalent charge for r12, the ratio looks like this:
r12 charge times .56 and that will yield your charge weight for 152a.

:piratefla

I would not be standing next to your Jeep if it develops a refrigerant leak with the engine running. :explosion

Yes there is an inherent risk, but I think that it is marginally small. for r290/r600a to ignite, it would have to occupy a narrow window of the percentage of the atmosphere under the hood. With the engine running, the fans do a fairly good job of moving fresh air in, displacing the existing air. the hydrocarbons ignite just shy over 1000f while 134a ignites around 1400f. I am sure that any spark is well above both ignition temps. If you think about it, there are so many things that can start a fire in a vehicle. The addition of this refrigerant just raises that margin by a small fraction of a percent. My factory charge is 38oz, I am only running around 12 or so with a blend. :piratefla

Back