• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Engine Swap-non jeep options?

Better_than_Tom

NAXJA Forum User
So long story made short is I bought a 2001 XJ off a member here 2.5 years ago. It had a slight misfire when I bought it so I took it to mechanic. It has been there for basically 2 years. Mechanic does jeeps only and had great reviews online and he can't figure it out. He thinks it's a bad wiring harness as the engine was rebuilt so maybe something got pinched. No one makes one so I'm screwed.

Here's the question:

I wanna pull the motor out and put in something that will be standalone. I will make the car OHV only so smog isn't an issue. What engines would be a good choice, fit and are readily available?

Thanks for your time!

GM LS swap

Can't you go cut a wiring harness out at the junkyard? If you think that it's the harness, swapping motors seems pretty drastic unless you already had your mind set on that.

Can't you go cut a wiring harness out at the junkyard? If you think that it's the harness, swapping motors seems pretty drastic unless you already had your mind set on that.

X 2,

Pulling a good rebuilt 4.0 out and dropping in a brand X engine involves more time
and money than most people realize.

I've been reading up on the LS swaps. My main problem is I have more money then time. I have a friend who owns an off-road fab shop who will do the work for me if I decide to do a swap. A 5.3 is sounding pretty good.

I've been reading up on the LS swaps. My main problem is I have more money then time. I have a friend who owns an off-road fab shop who will do the work for me if I decide to do a swap. A 5.3 is sounding pretty good.

off the subject, but what shop are you talking about? I have an engine swap that needs done (6.0 into a full sized Cherokee).

Back