• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan Bolts Torque Specs

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, I6, AW4
My factory manual in the installation description says the torque specs are:
1/4 - 20 studs 120 in Ibs
5/16 - 18 studs 156 in Ibs
but in the torque table at the end of the chapter they state different values
1/4 - 20 studs 84 in Ibs
5/16 - 18 studs 132 in Ibs
Does anyone know which is correct?
Unfortunately in the middle of this job right now and need to button it up.
Many thanks for any help on this.

A quick look in the "green" book gives torque values in ft. lbs. as: 1/4x20 = 7, and 5/16x18 at 11. I use as a rule of thumb, in/lbs. div. 15. If you multiply the in. lbs. by 15 is: 105"lbs. and 165"lbs. Anyway if it helps.

jeez, really?!?!?! 3/8 ring gear bolts don't even require this much torque. I tightened mine down to good and tight and in a crossing pattern. Haven't had a leak yet. fel-pro product is what i used.

jeez, really?!?!?! 3/8 ring gear bolts don't even require this much torque. I tightened mine down to good and tight and in a crossing pattern. Haven't had a leak yet. fel-pro product is what i used.

The lowest setting on my torque wrench is 10ft. lbs. That would cinch those oil pan bolts up. Victor Reinz is also a very good gasket. Inch pound to ft. pounds multiply by 15, ft. lbs. to inch lbs. divide by 15.

A quick look in the "green" book gives torque values in ft. lbs. as: 1/4x20 = 7, and 5/16x18 at 11. I use as a rule of thumb, in/lbs. div. 15. If you multiply the in. lbs. by 15 is: 105"lbs. and 165"lbs. Anyway if it helps.

Why do you use 15 and not 12?

and to the OP; My repair software (Mitchell Pro-Demand) says 84 in-lbs for the 1/4" and 11 ft-lbs (132 in-lbs) for the 5/16"

Careful on the timing cover bolts, they'll either strip threads or snap off. That aluminum is soft. The iron block is more forgiving.

I managed to strip one of the front bolts on mine, I've been afraid to drill / helicoil the block. It never even got to the point of being snug, feels like it stripped when i removed the bolt. :doh:

Back