• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sittin in wendy's smokin...waterpump??

5Cent

NAXJA Forum User
Sittin at wendy's smokin...waterpump??

Well, pulled into wendy's an 1hr ago and noticed that the needle was almost on red. Pulled into a parking space and could tell she was steaming. Coolant is coming out under the thermostat so i'm guessing the water pump right? The whole system needs replace, but I can't afford that right anymore(was gonna have a new Modine soon ). It's leaked somewhere on the passenger side for sometime now off and on. The a squealing appeared until it would warm up a few weeks ago. So I'm thinking the bearings went out. The temp guage would also bounce back and forth 10-20degrees sometimes. Sending unit or more proof it's the waterpump? Now gotta see if they'll let me do it in their parking lot or if i'll have to get it towed. I'm gonna read the Haynes now so any ideas? How hard is it. Doesn't look that hard. Any and all info would be great. Thanks

Adam

Last edited:
It's not too bad but easier if you're doing the radiator at the same time. That way you can pull it and give yourself some room to work. The squealing could have been your belt from the pump pulley being seized or the belt being wet. Wendy's won't like to see that fluid all over their lot so take a bucket and towels too. Good luck.

Thanks ABQ. Should be an interesting couple of days,lol. I have a bad feeling Wendy's isn't even gonna let me do it in their lot. How long did it take you to do one? I've been told up to 2hrs. The hardest part I c is getting the bolts out and all the other junk.

Well wendy's didn't like the look of a college kid fixin his jeep in their parking lot so the manager came out and told me i gotta tow it within the hr or they were gonna. Had everything apart and ready to reassemble . So for $50 the shop down the road is doing it. Thanks for all the help fellas.

Ok, new waterpump, t-stat and hoses. Runs fine, but the guage is still messed up. On the highway it stays right about 180 but as soon as I stop it bounces up and down. I've heard that it's a sign for a blown head gasket, but the oil pressure is still good w/no flucuation. Any ideas? Bad gauge? Bad sending unit?

Replace the sending unit...likely the problem. If it was a bad head gasket there would be oil in the coolant.

Back