• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Leak: Losing My Mind!

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I'm working on getting my '98 XJ fixed up and ready for sale.

I went to do a power steering flush, and long story short I ended up having to buy a new reservoir.

So, I got one of the Dorman reservoirs.

I for the LIFE of me can not get the system to stop leaking. I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from between the reservoir and pump, as most people have issues with it.

I know most say the o-ring that comes with the reservoir doesn't work.

So, after trying it with the new o-ring that came in the kit...it leaked.

After trying it with the original o-ring...it leaked.

Tried stacking o-rings...it leaks.

I went ahead and ordered $17 worth of custom size o-rings that would fit, but had a larger cross section. Well, I could get it to not leak just sitting there. But then when I let the engine run...its fukking leaks STILL.

I have literally tried 6 or so different sizes of o-rings, and have gone through nearly a gallon and a half of fluid trying to get this thing to seal.

It would normally be visible coming out the front side (where the fluid can gather), down the reservoir and leak off the bottom. Well it's not coming out the front side, but its still leaking.

I've spent over a week now trying to get the damn thing to seal, as I don't want to sell a vehicle with a leaking power steering setup (even if the leak is small).

I've replaced the return hose, and added worm style hose clamps instead of the crappy oem clamps.

I've also tried two of these dorman reservoirs, still have both with me...no dice on sealing.

I'm coming to the point of doing/trying the following:
1.) Get some oil dye and try and see EXACTLY where it is coming from.
2.) Just buy a reman'd pump and reservoir and pray they seal...but that seems to be hit or miss.
3.) Slather some Permatex Right Stuff RTX on the o-ring and around it to get it to farking seal!

I would damn near have this Jeep ready for sale if it weren't for this damn power steering leak.

All this because I accidentally dropped the foil from a fluid bottle in the reservoir.

" 2.) Just buy a reman'd pump and reservoir"

As an entire assembled unit. With a lifetime warranty

It'd be a helluva lot easier, not expensive, and you'd have the peace of mind of not selling a maybe not leaking Jeep. Just a suggestion from your choices in the original post.

I'm pretty positive overall that it's not the pump leaking.

There weren't any leaks what so ever before trying to put a new reservoir on, so that leads me to be pretty positive it has something to do with the reservoir / reservoir & pump connection.

Back