• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first swap... HELP!!!

young&ambitious

NAXJA Forum User
okay so here goes,
I'm 19 and I'm a welding student at Vincennes University in Indiana. I lost my dad to cancer last year and have been dealing with it by doing my first build (ever) all on my own.. and it's been nightmare! Everything I know (or like to think I know) is mostly self taught from fixing my 93 xj DD over the past year and a half. And I live on campus so I'm building this out at my buddy's shop and I'd really like to be able to drive it home before the end of the semester instead of having to trailer it 250 miles.. So I bought a 96 xj 4 cyl 5 spd. My original intention was to pull the 2.5 out and drop in a 4.0 but due to my ignorance I had to go out and source an ax15. It took me a week to find one for what seemed to be a decent price ($500 with about 110k). Everyone else I found that had one wanted $750+. It came out of a 97(?) TJ. My problem is that the tailcone on the ax15 from the tj at the back where the TC bolts up, its at a different angle than the ax15s that came out of the xj's.. The junkyard I bought it from told me that its gonna angle my TC upwards and that I'm gonna have to cut or beat in my floorboard to make it work. With that said will the tailcone from my old ax5 swap over to the ax15? Swapping in the new 4.0+ax15 will my old drive shafts work?, or will I need different, custom lengthened ones? I have a lot more questions regarding this build, Help anyone?
And before anyone says it.... I KNOW I should've bought an xj with a 4.0+ax15 combo to begin with but they're hard to find in my area and I've got too much sweat and money wrapped up in this project to sell it. Plus I feel that its a good learning experience and it keeps me out of trouble.

Iron rock off road sells a templet for clocking your T-case for 50 bucks it's an easy mod with drill its and a tap... As for the drive shafts they should work and if you do a slip yoke eliminator NOT the super short you can run two front shafts one rear one front and then I really don't see a problem... Being in Indiana you can get a good price from baseline 4x4 they are located north of Fort Wayne should be fast shipping
Good luck

Back