• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need custom shaft made

xtimmax

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know a good local shop to So cal that can make me a shaft? I need a double spline full float dana 60 shaft made, 35 spline.

Thanks

timmmmmy!

russ is onto something with dutchman they are reasonable.

ctm will make you pay out the ass........itll be done right, well maybe.... but youll pay more for the same thing you can get elsewhere, also it'll take forever.

currie is close to your work, reasonable, but i heard from a few people they are less about small jobs these days

is your housing a special width that makes you unable to get something off the shelf?

nonlocal/mailorder you can go with branik

you want something strong or cheap?

another option is to grab a stock shaft that is longer and doesnt have a neckdown leading to the splines and cut to length/have it resplined.

timmmmmy!

russ is onto something with dutchman they are reasonable.

ctm will make you pay out the ass........itll be done right, well maybe.... but youll pay more for the same thing you can get elsewhere, also it'll take forever.

currie is close to your work, reasonable, but i heard from a few people they are less about small jobs these days

is your housing a special width that makes you unable to get something off the shelf?

nonlocal/mailorder you can go with branik

you want something strong or cheap?

another option is to grab a stock shaft that is longer and doesnt have a neckdown leading to the splines and cut to length/have it resplined.

It is for a 61.5" WMS full float 6 lug 60 I'm swapping in to replace the Waggy 44.

I was hoping for something local and fairly inexpensive.

I looked into cutting down a stock shaft, but I figured by the time I buy a stock shaft and pay to have it cut and resplined, It may not be too much more to have a custom 4340 or 300M shaft made. I wouldn't be opposed to a stock shaft cut down if the price is right.

I was hoping I could find a little hole in the wall mom and pop shop that could hook me up.

I will swing by Currie and see what they can do, Otherwise Ill call Branik, Dutchman.

Thanks Ben!!

Have you looked into the universal cut to length full float shafts? They have like 6-8" of splines and you trim to fit your application. Not sure how narrow you can go but that's an option too.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-96...-to-length-chromoly-shaft-35-spline-33-5.html

the only issue with either cutting down a universal shaft or another stocker is if there is a neck down or not in between the splines.

cut splines with no neck down guarantees twistoff of splines, if their is a neck down you've got a chance at absorbing twist.

the only issue with either cutting down a universal shaft or another stocker is if there is a neck down or not in between the splines.

cut splines with no neck down guarantees twistoff of splines, if their is a neck down you've got a chance at absorbing twist.

Yes, rolled splines are better then cut splines but I wouldn't worry too much. My front long side inner in my HP60 is a custom shaft with cut splines, been holding up great on 37-40's with a lead foot. I even popped the U-joint on it and the shaft was fine afterwards, ears and splines. I know there's a few people around here with those same cut to length shafts that survive just fine, including behind a built big block 440 ;)

Hey Tim, what are you going to do with your old 44 that's coming out? Make me a deal on it.

its already gone, It came out of my jeep and went straight into the news owners pickup on sunday. Sorry dude

Yes, rolled splines are better then cut splines but I wouldn't worry too much. My front long side inner in my HP60 is a custom shaft with cut splines, been holding up great on 37-40's with a lead foot. I even popped the U-joint on it and the shaft was fine afterwards, ears and splines. I know there's a few people around here with those same cut to length shafts that survive just fine, including behind a built big block 440 ;)

im not talking about the cut of the splines as much as im talking about a neck down, cut splines just add to the issue.

Update: I ended up going to currie, shaft was 327 out the door. I was told it would take a week, I dropped it off Tuesday afternoon and received a call Wednesday morning saying it was ready. Super easy company to deal with IMO

Back