• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What tires ???

2000xj1413

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so it's time for new tires on my xj just need some opinions on what to go with I'm looking for something decently priced . I daily drive the truck everyday and take it out in the woods about every weekend . I want something with good traction on and off road with an aggressive look that won't wear too quickly . What would you guys suggest ?

Welcome to the website. A few things first:

Try the search function first to get your answers; it's just to the left of your user name on the top of the page, just below and to the left on the red bar.

Be very specific on what information you need; What size tires? What size lift? And Vehicle info...I.e. 2000 4 Dr, auto, 4x4 etc.

Do you want Mud Terrains, All Terrains or All Seasons?

2000 cherokee 4 door 4.5 lift with 33x12.50 15 looking more towards an agressive look like a mud terrain but also one that's not going to wear out real fast on the street

I run 35" MT/R Kevlars, I'm on my second set and I love them. They wear slowly and offer great traction on the rocks and in mild sloppy stuff. I don't have experience in super soupy mud like I assume you have in New Jersey. I also have little experience in icy conditions, but once you get into 35" and bigger you are limited.

Overall I have run BFG KMs, BFG AT KOs, Kuhmo Mud terrains and MT/R Kevlars are my favorite of them all. I hope this helps.

1 vote for Goodyear Duratracs. I got almost 50k out of my 31s and am currently stepping up to 33s. Very aggressive A/T, with the best snow rating out there.

The MK2's are a good tire.

The Duratrac would be best if you want winter performance.

I have the Kumo KL71 MT, and am very pleased with them.

I have a hard time seeing KM2s being good on ice, the more edges you have the better the traction. 91to99 might be right with the duratracs, i don't have any experience with them so that is why I didn't list them.

1 vote for Goodyear Duratracs. I got almost 50k out of my 31s and am currently stepping up to 33s. Very aggressive A/T, with the best snow rating out there.

X2 on the Duratracs. I love them on my jeep and had them on my last jeep too. They are quiet on the road, have excellent wet road handling, good wear, and are great on dirt and rocks. I am not a huge mud fan so I can't comment on how good they are as mudders.

X3 Duratracs.

Great on snow and ice, great in mud and slick trails.

Only other consideration for me would be the Cooper ST Maxx, but snow and ice traction is my top concern.

Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO best AT tire, IMO.
Been running MTR-k's on my heep for sevarl years and 30k+ miles. Good wear, good performance, never run em in snow/ice. But I would think they would fair all right in snow.
Other tires to consider..
Yokohama Geolander AT-s, Dayton Timberline AT, General Grabber AT2, GY Duratrac/Kelly Safari TSR.

I have Cooper ST Maxx on my XJ in 33x12.5 and while I have not had them that long I really like them. They have done great in the snow and ice here in Colorado. Great traction overall and love the look. They are very quiet so far. They replaced set of 32" MTRs that did great in the snow good in the ice but after 10k miles had become really really loud.

I have had DuraTracs on other Jeeps/vehicles and they are great too but I like to be different so I got the coopers. I would think the DuraTrac would be better in the ice and very hard packed snow than the ST Maxx since they have more sipping.

I would think the DuraTrac would be better in the ice and very hard packed snow than the ST Maxx since they have more sipping.

I can vouch for them being excellent on ice and hard snow. After I started using the Duratracs I have had a real hard time breaking loose to do donuts in snow covered parking lots. :spin1: That's good news if you commute a lot but not as fun for donuts. :doh:

I'm currently running a set of MTR/ Kevlars in the 33 flavor and IMO it's the best all around tire. Has great road manors wet/snow/dry you name it and hold it's own in the mud/rock or anything else offroad against all my buddies TSL's.

Back