• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are these the right knuckles? (WJ Swap)

iluv83vettes

NAXJA Forum User
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4905395468.html

I don't have time to go to a pull-a-part mainly because whenever they are open I am working. Are these the correct knuckles to do the WJ swap? From what I have read, I believe these should be the Akebono calipers.

Looks like the right stuff.

Akebono on the left, Teves on the right here:

WJKnuckleSwap20OPT.jpg

Here is a closer view of the Akebono, including the little stainless clips on which the pads slide (Teves has retaining wires instead, I don't have a pic of those).

WJKnuckleSwap21OPT.jpg

Yep, looks like what you need.

The WJ LCAs should be worth a few bucks to someone as well.

'04 should have had Akebono calipers from the factory and from the crappy pics it looks like they are Akebono, just double check if you go get it.

They are the Akebono calipers. I picked it up last night. I left the coils but got everything else. So ... if anyone wants some WJ LCA's let me know. That's really the only thing I can see on this that would still be worth some money.

How much would you let the LCAs go for? I would need them shipped to 31705

How much would you let the LCAs go for? I would need them shipped to 31705

I don't know how good the bushings are. I didn't really look at them. I don't imagine shipping would be too much. Let me get them off and inspect them because I don't want to sell crap parts.

On a side note: Can you run WJ knuckles with stock steering? I haven't been able to find an answer on that one.

From what I remember you can't run the stock steering. It had something to do with the way the drag link attaches and the TB angles. You "could" use it to move the rig around but it would be a no go on the road.

The wj axle is about 3" wider than the xj one, so the stock steering won't work.

You could cut and sleeve, but at that point you may as well just get some proper tubing and heims and do it right

Destroyer seems to have run the stock steering successfully. See post #8 in this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1052019&highlight=headaches

I can't speak to the validity of the statement, but it is one of the bits I have collected while doing my own research on the WJ brake swap. I swear sending someone to go research that topic has got to be a violation of the Geneva Convention.

The wj axle is about 3" wider than the xj one, so the stock steering won't work.

You could cut and sleeve, but at that point you may as well just get some proper tubing and heims and do it right

I'm talking about using the XJ or in my case ZJ tie rod and drag link on WJ knuckles on an XJ Dana 30 so the width would be the same.

Destroyer seems to have run the stock steering successfully. See post #8 in this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1052019&highlight=headaches

I can't speak to the validity of the statement, but it is one of the bits I have collected while doing my own research on the WJ brake swap. I swear sending someone to go research that topic has got to be a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Thanks for the link. I hope it is valid. I agree about searching on it.

Back