• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ knuckle swap, Do I NEED to weld the spacer?

xriide

NAXJA Forum User
Just gathering all the parts needed to do the WJ knuckle swap here, and looking at the JKS spacer, do I need to weld it to the knuckle? Doesn't seem like it can go anywhere once bolted in.

I am going to put a couple of tack welds on it, but I do not have a set up to put some real welds into it without worry of cracking.

From what I gather, they need to be welded.

How come though? Will the small clearance in the hole oval out over time if it's not welded?
Does it need a super good weld, or will a few tacks with a 120v welder be ok?

Once installed correctly, the spacer helps support the unit bearing, welding it in makes it part of the knuckle essentially for solid support.

Once installed correctly, the spacer helps support the unit bearing, welding it in makes it part of the knuckle essentially for solid support.

Ah that makes sense, I'll get a buddy to weld it properly then, oven, good weld and then pack in sand. Just hate welding cast.

Its cast steel or forged steel I believe, definitely easier to weld. I still did a little pre/post heating but it welded with a 220 MIG just fine. I've done a few cast iron center sections and knuckles are way easier to burn in.

Its cast steel or forged steel I believe, definitely easier to weld. I still did a little pre/post heating but it welded with a 220 MIG just fine. I've done a few cast iron center sections and knuckles are way easier to burn in.

Ok, that's good to know then, I'm less worried now.

I welded mine with a miller 120, I put it in the bbq for a couple minutes and let it cool in sand. However, I've heard from others, because it's forged steel, the heating and cooling isn't "necessary". So, I think you'll be just fine with welding it yourself, unless your welding skills aren't up to it.

Back