• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy fuel pump?

RedneckXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have a '93 XJ, 4.0, auto with 118,000 miles on it that I bought in July last year. It had sat a few months without being touched when I bought it. The alternator was going out and the fuel pump had a whine to it, so I replaced them. The fuel pump never quit whining. I drive it everyday, wheel it on the weekends and it never has trouble getting gas or anything. It even runs better than my 97 XJ, but that slight whine is always there. Can anybody tell me what it could be?

What brand of pump did you replace the original with?
Was it new?
Good fuel pumps make very little noise.
I have had good luck with Bosch and terrible luck with Airtex pumps.

Keep a very close "ear" on that fuel pump noise. Increasing noise on the pump is likely indicating failure in the near future. However, if the noise stays the same, it may last for some time.

I'm with lazyxj. I will not recommend, nor will I install an Airtex XJ fuel pump. A search will find you many in this camp. Bosch is my favorite, Carter is my second favorite.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back