• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link arm separation?

outkast7222

NAXJA Forum User
I know it is not preferred but is it acceptable to have zero vertical separation of the upper and lower links at the frame side?

I have seen some long arms where the upper and one of the lowers connected right next to each other. I was going to build some radius arms but if there is an advantage to doing it that way over radius arms I would go that route.

thats about as good as a radius arm.

only advantage over a standard radius arm is since you are only using 3 links, so there is no bind

If you have the means to build a 3-link with no separation I'd think you had the means to build one with separation.

I'd assume you're building a custom cross member. Put the lower links on the bottom of the cross member and put the single upper link on top but a couple inches higher. Through the floor would be ideal.

If you have the means to build a 3-link with no separation I'd think you had the means to build one with separation.

I'd assume you're building a custom cross member. Put the lower links on the bottom of the cross member and put the single upper link on top but a couple inches higher. Through the floor would be ideal.

Yes, already built the x-member. Started building the radius arms but then got to thinking I could just weld a tab on and go three link. I have thought about going through the floor but I am lazy, and cheap. LOL.

I have just enough DOM to do the third link and figured if it was going to be beneficial I would do it. My lowers are mounted in the cross member so the joints are fully above the belly. I could get maybe 2" above the lowers before I starting hitting chit or have to cut.

Just figured if it was going to better than radius arms I would just do it that way. BTW this is on a trail queen with less than 10 miles on pavement in 5 years so road handling is not an issue.

Yes, already built the x-member. Started building the radius arms but then got to thinking I could just weld a tab on and go three link. I have thought about going through the floor but I am lazy, and cheap. LOL.

I have just enough DOM to do the third link and figured if it was going to be beneficial I would do it. My lowers are mounted in the cross member so the joints are fully above the belly. I could get maybe 2" above the lowers before I starting hitting chit or have to cut.

Just figured if it was going to better than radius arms I would just do it that way. BTW this is on a trail queen with less than 10 miles on pavement in 5 years so road handling is not an issue.

even that little bit of separation will be better than mounting them on the same plane. i agree with the mounting it through the floorboard, thats the way i went. but if you really don't want to cut then mount it as high as you can.

Back