• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD Steering upgrade which one?

Ronniexj

NAXJA Forum User
My TRE's are getting pretty worn and I'm looking to replace my steering on the XJ.

First off this is my DD/camping/Expo rig, it mainly sees pavement and I like to hold 75mph on the highway. I don't do rock-crawling, mainly deep snow and rutted trails.

This seems like quite the topic and I've heard good and bad about the Currie and JCR setups. Hasta

What's a good steering setup for my intended use? Should I just goto a ZJ Tie rod for onroad manners? Or fab a DOM inverted T?

I can weld and fab but I'd prefer not to redo all my mounts aswell...

FWIW I don't plan to go any bigger with my lift but would like to run 33x10 or 255/85s in the future.

97 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 231, 31x10.5, 3.55s, 148k
RE 3.5 full leaf, RK trackbar, Reman steering box

Currie - all day, every day - especially for road rigs. I had JCR and eventually got the dead spot. Swapped over to Currie and won't change back. Go Currie and don't look back. Also get the GoFerIt (or other mfg.) flip spacer for the driver side above the knuckle.

The think I don't like about the currie steering is the price! It's crazy...
If you can find a used setup I'd buy it, but I wouldn't pay retail. For the very short time I had the currie steering it was ok, paid $150 for it.

For what you say you do, I'd just run the ZJ stuff. It will be just fine, and save you a ton of money. Then later down the road if you go bigger lift/tires or whatever you can upgrade

the currie set up is a nice thing, for sure. however, i think it's just too spendy for what it is.
i really dislike the jcr/inverted t steering. like a lot of things, it's just personal preference to some degree, but i can't stand the way it feels......even with an anti tie rod roll spacer deal.
you'd probably do just fine with the v8 zj steering. get the goferit flip adapter for the driver's side and call it good.
fwiw, i've ordered the ironrock steering kit. i've driven an xj so equipped-felt great, and has a lot of positive recommendations.

For 3.5 inches of lift and 31's, stock steering is just fine. A Heavy Duty tie rod is a good idea. Just be sure to use top quality brand name parts and no "Lifetime Warranty" Chinese garbage.

I ran 3.5" of lift and stock steering for 5-6 years as a daily driver, and also ran 4x4 trails including ColoradoFest, and several Fall Flings in Moab. I drove the Cherokee to, and back from, each event.

Last edited:
For 3.5 inches of lift and 31's, stock steering is just fine. A Heavy Duty tie rod is a good idea. Just be sure to use top quality brand name parts and no "Lifetime Warranty" Chinese garbage.

Are you saying not to get the ZJ setup from say Moog then?

ZJ or after market, either one. I carry a complete spare stock steering, tie rod ends/tie rod/drag link, and have not needed it yet.

large.jpg

whether you get a new one from the parts store(moog only), or grab one off a parting out vehicle, go with the v8 zj application.
the xj's stock long, hollow tube adjuster sleeve is not a very good design. i've bent two......one was on 235/75's. :doh:

For the price of a NEW V8 ZJ tie rod setup, you can get an aftermarket tie rod/TRE's.
Before I got my currie steering, I was using the IM4x4fab solid TRE and 3/4-ton rod ends with stock drag link. Never had an issue. That setup will be going on my MJ for now.

For the price of a NEW V8 ZJ tie rod setup, you can get an aftermarket tie rod/TRE's.
Before I got my currie steering, I was using the IM4x4fab solid TRE and 3/4-ton rod ends with stock drag link. Never had an issue. That setup will be going on my MJ for now.

I'm interested and I see that keeps the factory Y setup, price would be about 50$ more than a new complete ZJ TRE. I'd also just shift the weak point over to the drag link. Not sure what to think, so many options out there.

Last edited:
Who buys new ZJ tie rods ? The local Pic-n-Pull sells them for $6 each. The whole spare steering I carry on the trails cost me $18.

For a mild lift and mild 4x4 use, it is difficult for me to justify Currie steering. If it fits your budget, go for it.

I have had 3 types of steering. Started with stock and 6.5" lift. That wore out over 4 months. Replaced TRE with V8 TREs and replaced the tie rod with a monster custom TRE. This worked for 5 months and 3 wheeling trips. Finally spent the money on Currie after two trashed set ups and mild wheeling........while dd'ing it. After going to Currie, I will never go to anything else. Yeah....its expensive, but I wasted time and money on setups that didn't work.

I have had currie for 3 years on my XJ and I have bent the tie rod 2 times. I take it to my local shop and have it bent straight for $5 dollars with the press. I carry full spares for the currie, although I have never came close to breaking one. I have wheeled much harder on the currie setup and it still feels the same on and off road, with the exception of bending the tie rod.

Yeah, its expensive.........and at 6.5" of lift I am at the max adjustment for this setup. I dd my rig and wouldn't trust it to anything else.

I am not made out of money for sure, with a wife in school and 2 girls who like to cheerlead competitively and do other expensive things........ if your gonna play.........your gonna have to pay.

Currie doesn't fit many XJ'er budgets(took me months to save the money to get it), but if you want a reliable setup that can get you to the rock garden and back to work on Monday........your gonna have to upgrade from mismatched OEM jeep steering to proven equipment.

NAPA Premium FTW!

Best part of the ZJ tie rod is that you can get one replaced on a Sunday afternoon. If one of the aftermarket systems can say as much, they might be worth looking at as well.

whether you get a new one from the parts store(moog only), or grab one off a parting out vehicle, go with the v8 zj application.
the xj's stock long, hollow tube adjuster sleeve is not a very good design. i've bent two......one was on 235/75's. :doh:
ZJ uses the same ES2079S stamped adjuster sleeve (or did you mean the long hollow TRE?). I've been trying to convince a vendor to make solid metal adjuster sleeve to replace the ES2079S, maybe something will happen. That and the ZJ tie rod would be golden for a DD with light trail use.

I think Moog has gone downhill over the years. I've had Moog a track bar and ball joints fail too soon. On 235/75R15 tires. Now I use NAPA's top of the line steering parts. They have a lifetime warranty.

I think Moog has gone downhill over the years. I've had Moog a track bar and ball joints fail too soon.

Let's hope I got a good batch, I'm rolling on all new Moog BJ's. Atleast I did the work myself so I'll only be out parts.

Let's hope I got a good batch, I'm rolling on all new Moog BJ's. Atleast I did the work myself so I'll only be out parts.

I had 27,000 miles on them when I took the Jeep up Imogene Pass. As soon as I was back on pavement I knew something was a bit off. Advance took them back as defective and I replaced them with Spicer. Only time it had been off road since the ball joints went in.

Last edited:
Back